Monitors..

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

kdgh wrote:if you don't hear 40hz... you just cut them. 30hz - 40hz is what i call the 'jeans band'. Only sub that'll move your baggy jeans in the club.
it will do more than move your jeans. humans can hear an octave lower than 40Hz.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

tone-def wrote:
kdgh wrote:if you don't hear 40hz... you just cut them. 30hz - 40hz is what i call the 'jeans band'. Only sub that'll move your baggy jeans in the club.
it will do more than move your jeans. humans can hear an octave lower than 40Hz.
babies maybe. not adults.
but i agree that its important to have monitor that is able to produce wide frequency range as possible.

i think its more personal taste than anything else. you need to listen to Adam, Genelec and Dynaudio (or any other model your interested in) and decide for yourself. all good choices at the end.
more important than the monitors is room treatment. if you dont treat the room you wont get the right response from the monitors and than its a waist of money. cheaper monitors with treatment is better choice in my opinion than expensive monitors with no room treatment.
marcneyen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by marcneyen »

Hades wrote: I'm planning on getting a pair of Twins in a month or two.
What I really like about them is that they're 3-way for an affordable price.
I'm curious to hear some opinions from people that own Focals.
What's your experience with your pair of Solo's ?
Overall the Solo is a great speaker and I don't have any complaints about it.
Working for almost 3 years now with them and they still amaze me.

I had a pair of Tapco S5's which went to 65Hz i believe, bought a sub to compensate but it never felt right also because I used to work in my bedroom.
So it may be a bit overrated that the Solo's blew me away once I got them but they do sound extremely detailed and have definitely enough low end.

Nowadays I got a studio space which is acoustically treated. The Solo's sound very even, still getting all details at lower levels and when working really loud they remain transparent. My studio space is about 5m to 4m and the Solo's are almost overpowered for that. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Twins as the woofer is twice the same and the advantage of them being 3-way might be minimal, especially for doing electronic music.If you don't mind spending the extra amount for the twins and got a big enough room, go for them.

I never tried Dynaudios, Adams etc but when I looked for a decent pair of monitors, Focal struck me as the only company that actually explained why they chose certain materials for their drivers/woofers and the whole concept behind it. That was the main reason I went with them and I have had no regrets so far, can only recommend em.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Stomper wrote:
tone-def wrote:
babies maybe. not adults.
i must be a baby because i can hear down to 20Hz, maybe even lower.
Armando
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Armando »

However guys i'm going for the dynaudios bm5a mkII and this summer i'll get a studio with a treated room obviously. Then i've to buy a sub by your opinion? What between the Bm 9s or the Bm 14s?
Or should i go for another speakers considering that this summer i'll get the sub?
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Armando wrote:However guys i'm going for the dynaudios bm5a mkII and this summer i'll get a studio with a treated room obviously. Then i've to buy a sub by your opinion? What between the Bm 9s or the Bm 14s?
Or should i go for another speakers considering that this summer i'll get the sub?

Dude, you should seriously save up the extra 4-500$ and get the bm6a mk2. There is a fairly big difference in the low end. You'll be glad you waited. I spent 30 minutes A/B'ing both.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Well that's considering no sub off course, which I just saw you were planning on getting. If you end up not getting a sub, get the 6's.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Armando wrote:However guys i'm going for the dynaudios bm5a mkII and this summer i'll get a studio with a treated room obviously. Then i've to buy a sub by your opinion? What between the Bm 9s or the Bm 14s?
those subs are serious. if you can afford BM14S then you should probably go for more expensive monitors.