Soundcard with Multiple INs or Mixer, how to decide...?

- ask away
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Soundcard with Multiple INs or Mixer, how to decide...?

Post by dubgil2 »

I recently purchased an ELektron MD UW. I also have a a KORG EMX. (I have a few other pieces of gear, but not in use) anyway, I want to take advantage of both units multiple outs.

PROBLEM: I have a Native Instruments AK-1 (only 2 inputs). Laptop with USB (no firewire)

I am having a hard deciding advantages/disadvantages of choosing either a new sound card with multiple ins (like the MOTU Ultra-lite hybrid) or a USB mixer.

years ago I had a Delta 44 PCI soundcard which i enjoyed a lot, and previous to that I had a ALesis USB Multimix 8 which I found pros and cons with. So it's not like I haven't been down this road before, but i'm stuck in deciding the best choice to go and I don't mind spending a bit more $ than previous to get all inputs on their own tracks in Ableton...

what's your experience/feedback.

Thanks,

What I don't like about mixer is while it's USB, I still only get a STEREO MIX (summing all the inputs). What I do like about mixer is it's hands on control rather than in the box. The
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

It's going to depend on the pre-amps mostly. If I was in the market I'd probably go for the mixer. The mackie ones are super cheap. 12 channels for $280. Gotta be a reason it's only $280 (or not, who knows). Allen & Heath makes some affordable ones also.

For audio, I like firewire the most. But, you stated it wasn't an option.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

If you care for total recall and are ok with mixing itb i would go for a usb/firwire interface. as mentioned go for good preamps and a/d conversion to have your outboard sounding perfect.

If you dont care for total recall and want to mix otb get the mixer. Benefit is hands on control, but you cannot work on several projects easily.

being a bit simplistic here, but anyway. me personally i have a focusrite saffire 40 with 8 stereo i/o and i am very happy with it.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

jobbanaught wrote:If you care for total recall and are ok with mixing itb i would go for a usb/firwire interface. as mentioned go for good preamps and a/d conversion to have your outboard sounding perfect.

If you dont care for total recall and want to mix otb get the mixer. Benefit is hands on control, but you cannot work on several projects easily.

being a bit simplistic here, but anyway. me personally i have a focusrite saffire 40 with 8 stereo i/o and i am very happy with it.
I have the pro 40 also. So far so good. I have 2 audiofire also (2 and 4) and they are nice also.

I'd just steer clear of m-audio. The amount of driver horror stories are unreal. MOTU, RME, Focusrite, TC Electronic are brands I'd stick with.
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

this might actually do the trick and as my rig grows add a 2nd

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASUS2000