Why drum machines?

- ask away
dr.rodrigobernales
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dr.rodrigobernales »

I sequence all my drums in renoise ...looool, i wish i had a drum machine or even a midi keyboard. I've been thinking of recording my own drum sounds tho, using objects like cans and other stuff for a more human effect. Cant get any more human than banging on some cans i guess... for the record, drum machines, modular and all this stuff you guys mention, it's all amazing to me and maybe someday... ahhhh, i'll have some nice gear to play with...
for now.... renoise all the way
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

tone-def wrote:what about modular drum machines?
Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSIWm1Ff ... r_embedded
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbrdEBgj05o

explanation in modular synthesis thread.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

steevio wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbrdEBgj05o

explanation in modular synthesis thread.
sweet groove!
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

AK wrote:
pafufta816 wrote:
AK wrote:where is the human element in modular? Where are you actually playing anything? Exactamundo. You aint.

Same boat, different gear son.
if you have a keyboard connected you are playing. also those knobs don't turn themselves you know? humans build and design modular systems so what more elements do you want?
Oh grow a brain why dont you, youve just repeated my own point. Its all bullshit and any elitist attitude towards gear is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Its all you hear on this site nowadays. This is sh!t, that is sh!t etc etc, modular is the only way. Well guess what? No it fcking isnt. Counter productive nonesensical banter is what it boils down to, a forum for elitists who judge things by gear collection rather than musical concepts and ideas. Its very disappointing.
take a huge chill pill man. i own all of about 3 pieces of hardware for music that i dont use for recording. my setup is my computer. i was making observations about the mediums on discussion. i'm not interested in heated arguments.

listening to steve albini's rapeman project "why don't you shut your mouth!" honestly, take some blood pressure medicine, or lay off the drugs, it's affecting your likability. is there an ignore user feature on this forum?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

ok, fair points (to peeps) I don't think there's anything wrong with 'heated' debates. Ultimately, this is an Internet forum and I'm sure we are all adult enough to deal with opinions and passionate approaches to music. I am a nice lad and dont mean to come across as a cnut but I just cant stomach the rubbishing of gear and techniques used to make music from people who have 'moved on'.

Thats not an attack at steevio or obli who have found a new musical understanding with modular environments, no, my gripe is the rubbishing of gear that (dont want to target steevio or obli) that you previously made quality music with.
If I could make an analogy, I would liken it to this: 'yeah, I used to listen to DnB but now I'm into Techno and all that music I was into, is now sh!t.'
I'm of the perfectly reasonable opinion that one can make very good music with whatever means an inspired and creative individual gets to work with. What you dont wish to hear is that your gear and techniques are somehow 'inferior' because established musicians have found a new lease of life in musical composition and synthesis.

Music is music, it doesnt hold a degree of professionalism based on equipment or technique, but every newbie reading this board must think they have to invest in a mind-boggling modular set-up in order to get into music which culminates in a professional output.

Im not knocking modular, hey, it sounds fascinating and I hope I get to hear exciting and interesting music from it, my gripe was that the gear you used before, was good enough to allow you to produce awesome music, so why is it now sh!t? And why is everything sh!t compared to modular? (see last point)

I'm sorry if I upset anybody, I think I replied with a sarcastic quote to pafufta, so I am sorry for that bro, I just get touchy with music but no, you wont shut me up, not when I feel I have a valid topic of debate. Don't like? Don't read!, I'm just really passionate about it and there's going to be times where I just get into disagreement and annoyance. But it's all good and it's cool that we have a forum where we can speak free, even if it stirs up emotions. Peace!
Last edited by AK on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

ok, fair points (to peeps) I don't think there's anything wrong with 'heated' debates. Ultimately, this is an Internet forum and I'm sure we are all adult enough to deal with opinions and passionate approaches to music. I am a nice lad and dont mean to come across as a cnut but I just cant stomach the rubbishing of gear and techniques used to make music from people who have 'moved on'.

Thats not an attack at steevio or obli who have found a new musical understanding with modular environments, no, my gripe is the rubbishing of gear that (dont want to target steevio or obli) that you previously made quality music with.
If I could make an analogy, I would liken it to this: 'yeah, I used to listen to DnB but now I'm into Techno and all that music I was into, is now sh!t.'
I'm of the perfectly reasonable opinion that one can make very good music with whatever means an inspired and creative individual gets to work with. What you dont wish to hear is that your gear and techniques are somehow 'inferior' because established musicians have found a new lease of life in musical composition and synthesis.

Music is music, it doesnt hold a degree of professionalism based on equipment or technique, but every newbie reading this board must think they have to invest in a mind-boggling modular set-up in order to get into music which culminates in a professional output.

Im not knocking modular, hey, it sounds fascinating and I hope I get to hear exciting and interesting music from it, my gripe was that the gear you used before, was good enough to allow you to produce awesome music, so why is it now sh!t? And why is everything sh!t compared to modular? (see last point)

I'm sorry if I upset anybody, I think I replied with a sarcastic quote to pafufta, so I am sorry for that bro, I just get touchy with music, I'm just really passionate about it and there's going to be times where I just get into disagreement and annoyance. But it's all good and it's cool that we have a forum where we can speak free, even if it stirs up emotions. Peace!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
the thing is you picked up on one thing that oblio said half in jest, 'drum machines suck', and managed to ecstrapulate a reality where eveyone who is into modular synthesis now thinks everything they used before is sh!t, this is so blatantly not the case. i just said i didnt like drum machines, and i dont, i really do think they are limiting, i'm just stating my preference.
i stopped using drum machines in a sequencing - percussion sense back in 1995 when i bought my Nord lead and began using software sequencing, its got absolutely nothing to do with modular.

saying i dont like some old kit anymore, and have found something better as far as i'm concerned, shouldnt really put me in line to be flamed in a production forum.
i use what is most fit for purpose for the type of music i want to make, and i respect what everyone else wants to use.

i think you just took it all too seriously mate.
anyway that was yesterday,

peace