modular synthesis

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:I read some interviews with him plus he has posted on Gearslutz and it now sounds like he knows what he is doing. A lot of people hate on him, but he is doing what he loves so we cant knock him for that. Was the video with him the one where he was smoking? I think it was me that posted that in this thread somewhere.
i have very little time for that guy. I think he's technically gifted and business savvy, but I don't enjoy his music or his attitude. And there's something kinda ill about having incredible modular machines and using them as expensive ornaments.

Partly, I think I'm just a bit bitter, cos the last dj set I played was for a friends houseparty, and most of his mates (which I know pretty well) went and sat in a different room when I was playing, and my mate was sent to tell me to play something different. Which I found pretty difficult cos I was doing my best to fit the vibe properly, nice warm fairly uptempo techno etc. Most of those guys went to see Deadmau5 with their hands in the air the next week.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have little time for him too. It's his attitude that does it for me though, not his music. He is HUGE now though, selling 50,000+ copies and sh!t. Its clever what he has done with the mouse head and stuff, but us underground artists are always going to find a reason to hate on someone like him.
Partly, I think I'm just a bit bitter, cos the last dj set I played was for a friends houseparty, and most of his mates (which I know pretty well) went and sat in a different room when I was playing, and my mate was sent to tell me to play something different. Which I found pretty difficult cos I was doing my best to fit the vibe properly, nice warm fairly uptempo techno etc. Most of those guys went to see Deadmau5 with their hands in the air the next week.
Someone asked me for a Deadmau5 track at the weekend. When I said I didnt have it they told me I was rubbish and that I had no idea about dance music. Same person asked me for that 'spastik' tune from Richie and then again I got the same response when I said I didnt have it. Youre not alone in people not feeling waht youre playing. I bet every dj here has a silly story to tell. I once told someone I would play their request later on in the evening and at the end of the night she had a right old moan at me because I never played it. The track was cheesy RnB, its funny how people cant understand why you wouldnty have that sort of music in your bag.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:Someone asked me for a Deadmau5 track at the weekend. When I said I didnt have it they told me I was rubbish and that I had no idea about dance music. Same person asked me for that 'spastik' tune from Richie and then again I got the same response when I said I didnt have it. Youre not alone in people not feeling waht youre playing. I bet every dj here has a silly story to tell.
It's the life we choose. It toughens your belief in yourself and it makes you appreciate the times when people are feeling it.

I played a houseparty in Germany, and after many many empty dancefloors / angry listeners, it was absolutely beautiful to have happy dancing listening people.

Bitterness deflated now. :)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote: but us underground artists are always going to find a reason to hate on someone like him.
I guess it goes with the territory... I usually can't help myself... dunno. Maybe I'm a dck, or maybe I'm passionate?

I bumped into a guy at a night in my hometown, who I saw on an interview with the Guardian, saying that he represented the future of dance music?

I was a bit drunk, but trying to be respectful, and discuss the issue. He didn't see it the same way that I did.

His music I have more time for than DM5s, and he seemed like a nice enough guy. Maybe those guys are the same as an other musicians, they're just the kind of person to play to the masses a bit more, and more happy to get entangled in the dangerous world of fame. It's probably not worth loosing sleep over as an underground musician though, the fame is only skin deep and can be lost as soon as it's gained. The real gains in life come from other places than overground success.

(sorry, probably a bit of an unnecessary tangent)
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

I don't like his music, but I can't hate on the guy for being successful at what we all love doing.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote: I bet every dj here has a silly story to tell.
someone request 'that detroit track' so i asked which one? turns out it was that cheesy pop dance put your hands up for detroit, i love this city.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

STML wrote:I don't like his music, but I can't hate on the guy for being successful at what we all love doing.
I can! But it's a total waste to. He still will have the same fears, capacity for loneliness, happiness as anybody else.

I'll shut my gob and let the music speak for itself.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

I may not have to ship my case after all! The converters that I was using to connect my modular to my mixer are Tip Ring Sleeve jacks and the analogue systems patch cables I have been using are Tip and Sleeve. Meaning I was sending ground signal into one of the channels. Going to get new converters tomorrow and try again. :D
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.