hardware samplers

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

[edit] double post trap.
Last edited by AK on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^

bro its pretty obvious you know what you're doing and have already made your mind up, but you entitled the thread hardware samplers, and inevitably you're are going to get guys like me who have used hardware samplers who are going to say that their experience of them was a no-fun, ball-ache of a waste of energy. this is why these things are so cheap on ebay.

maybe you should have entitled it 'Emu 4xt ultra samplers'

you have a very specific reason for going down that route, and are not planning to use it in the way it was specifically designed, and thats totally cool, thats what techno is all about.
but remember people who have used many different hardware samplers. and moved onto software samplers, will probably not see it your way, and will make negative comments about them.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Thats cool. I dont mind hearing peoples opinions. They may have different ideas of why Id use one though. When the thread started, I hadnt enough info to want that Emu, kinda read more this week though and can see how it would work for me.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i had an emu 6400 and a morpheus module (z plane filters). they had really great filters with a special sound (morpheus is a little cult machine cause of that). kontakt filters etc sounds crap compared to them. i always missed those filters in software samplers when i switched (luckily fab filter exists now).
so thats speaks really for those machines. the akai filters are really crap compared to emu.
also should be considered the special sound of the older 12 bit samplers.
i wouldnt mind owning one.
for usage the younger emus always had been nice to control. i connected mine via a scsi cable with my comp and sended all the samples back and force pretty fast and comfortable for editing additionally in the computer.
Last edited by deccard on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
techno made me do it
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

in terms of sound i think you need to get either a 8 or 12bit sampler to hear any difference compared to software. they actually sound worse than software but thats the selling point these days. lofi

if i was doing MIDI sequencing OTB i would still use Reason as a sampler. the live sampling is the best workflow i've come across and when you start resampling stuff things get gritty.
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

Having read all of that, yes, there can be a difference. Comp samplers reproduce what you put into them. The EMU stuff was always good kit. The E4X are kind of the pinnacle of hw samplers. Always a very refined sound. Very flexible and precise. If you want dirt, probably not so good. If you want a clean, flexible, turn samples into synths engine, it's great/
sebguy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sebguy »

i bought a 6400 classic last week. it'll take a little getting used to but once you know your way around the menus there's not a great deal of difference time wise than using a software sampler imo.. e.g mapping samples, setting up modulation etc.

if anything using a jog wheel to set start and end points seems way more natural to me than using a mouse. the filters sound awesome, and the 'cords' modulation matrix is well fun. i guess it's down to personal preference but i absolutely love it! using it defo adds character to samples. can't really put my finger on it.. softer / more rounded maybe?

i can confirm that importing waveforms and looping them works perfectly as long as you get the loop points perfect to avoid nasty clicks

you can find a nice tutorial on z-plane filters by typing 'Dillusion_PeakShelfMorph_Tutorial_WEB' into google. (the original site has been taken down but google has a cache of the pdf if you click 'quick view').

also theres a forum called emusonacid you may wish to sign up to :)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Cheers bud, will take a look at those things.