modular synthesis

- ask away
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

lol!

Now I wish I had jumped in back when you guys did, as you are certainly seasoned by experience that is for the moment only confusing to me! :D
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i wish i was back where you are so I can go thru the journey all again!

there's nothing that is much harder to pick up than 'normal' gear. Just be extra careful about plugging in modules, and busboards/PSU if you go down the non premade case route.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Phase Ghost wrote:
steevio wrote: the Z2040 is imo one of the most useful modules i have, FM'able filter and VCA in one, and sounds amazing.
Couldn't agree more. You can get some really awesome things happening with all the modulation sources on this filter. I hope they do another filter.
So you guys are saying that the Z2040 works like a VCA as well? This can be my output stage to my console as well as a filter?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the voltage control of amplitude on z2040 is of the gain circuit (before the filter ).

the gain circuit is there so you can alter the level feeding the filter, as the filter behaves differently depending on input amplitude.... voltage control of this would have been added as it was an easy way to add a handy feature.

You will most likely want to have a way to attenuate after the filter as well if it's the final thing in your chain.

I might get this filter... liking the creamy sweet vibes. Although this fucks about with my current semi ridiculous philosphy of focussing only on a few manufacturers. hmm.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i played with a polivoks briefly at the weekend. It was good. Very characterful kind of gurgly bubbly?
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

oblioblioblio wrote:i played with a polivoks briefly at the weekend. It was good. Very characterful kind of gurgly bubbly?
yeah the harvestman stuff gives me boners. I love the mixup of nice analog and digital stuff he makes.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

Just curious what cables you guys use other than stackables?
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

goomba wrote:Just curious what cables you guys use other than stackables?
i mainly use analogue systems cables, they are easily the best but they are more expensive. they can be moulded into shape, and keep their shape, they have a slight resistance to them.

i started buying ad infinitum cables a few months ago, because they were cheaper, but they are too floppy and drape all over the place,
its really easy to keep things tidy with the ASys ones, so ive gone back to them.

its been said here before but its worth saying again, buy as many cables as you can afford, you will need way more than you think, and buy plenty short ones - 30cm.

ive now ordered extra cables a total of 15 times in one year, and all that postage adds up to alot.
cables are the hidden cost of modular, i'm scared to add up how much ive spent, but of course its relative to the number of modules you've got.