mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Love the second video. Amazing sounds!!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

mike shannon is another artist who has used modulars for techno.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

dubgil2 wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:What I would like to see is some videos/sound clips of people making decent music from modular because all I have seen so far is a loads of bleeps and strange noises. I'm intrigued in this sort of set-up alongside my current set-up,l but i cant find any decent videos of what modular does.
no Joke! Why is Richard Devine even a household name. Everything I've heard him do is crap and his product endorsements is nothing but space fart noises...
really? You should listen to more of Devine's stuff. He has plenty of good legitimate releases of his maniacal IDM stuff on Warp, and has done some great remixes for others on Warp. He also was doing straightforward acid and techno to an excellent degree in livePA's all through the 90s. I DJed before or after his live sets tons of times back then.

I think after a time he discovered his real passion was just seeing how far he can destroy a sound.

But then again, by all accounts his live set at the Droid party in LA 2 weeks ago was unreal good... people are still talking about it.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

coldfuture wrote:
dubgil2 wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:What I would like to see is some videos/sound clips of people making decent music from modular because all I have seen so far is a loads of bleeps and strange noises. I'm intrigued in this sort of set-up alongside my current set-up,l but i cant find any decent videos of what modular does.
no Joke! Why is Richard Devine even a household name. Everything I've heard him do is crap and his product endorsements is nothing but space fart noises...
really? You should listen to more of Devine's stuff. He has plenty of good legitimate releases of his maniacal IDM stuff on Warp, and has done some great remixes for others on Warp. He also was doing straightforward acid and techno to an excellent degree in livePA's all through the 90s. I DJed before or after his live sets tons of times back then.

I think after a time he discovered his real passion was just seeing how far he can destroy a sound.

But then again, by all accounts his live set at the Droid party in LA 2 weeks ago was unreal good... people are still talking about it.
I apologize, I was referring more to his short Video Clips on VIMEO or YOU TUBE. I have a few of his early IDM stuff, including 1st release on Schematic on white label, I didn't mean to dismiss him altogether. Droid in LA? You mean last week's Wham Bam NAMM thing? or another DROID event? But was Richard rocking the laptop or doing a performance of Modular gear only (which is what I thought where I thought the discussion topic was heading)

see at another Droid event sometime.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i didn't like any of his youtube videos either. i kinda thought he was some talented geeky dude that did some good early work but got a bit sidetracked.

just goes to show... don't judge a book by it's cover... and don't judge a synth based on youtube! ha ha.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

oblioblioblio wrote:i didn't like any of his youtube videos either. i kinda thought he was some talented geeky dude that did some good early work but got a bit sidetracked.

just goes to show... don't judge a book by it's cover... and don't judge a synth based on youtube! ha ha.
Yeah modular seems to suffer from the fact that whether you are a techno n00b, accomplished artist, genre legend, yadda yadda... you still most likely will make the same mistake:

Get your modular all setup and get so excited you record a stupid video of the first "amazing" patch you create and post it on youtube.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

if you wanna hear something funny listen to the Carl Craig modular record....

LOL!

http://www.rushhour.nl/distribution_det ... item=54188
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

oblioblioblio wrote:Modular is seemingly a really hard thing to convince people of the benefits of.
The problems are many:

1. its so expensive
2. its hard to bring to live gigs
3. It doesnt have instant recall of patches
4. it can take up a good bit of space
5. It takes more effort to integrate it into your DAW workflow

If I ever win the lotto Im sure I go buy myself a system to piss about with but until that day I don't have the time, space or money to get into modular.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog