modular synthesis

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:
I really like my dual trigger delay, but rarely turn the knob more than just a little for some shuffle in a pattern by switching between the delayed and non-delayed trigger. It's too tough for me to dial in anything long. It always floats off.
yes thats exactly what i found, but the answer is simple, you replace the two delay capacitors (C2) which are 10 microfarads with 1 microfarad ones, this makes the delay knobs have a much narrower range, ( bigger sweep)ive done it with all 4 of my A162s .
you can do the same with the length too if you want, although i find that is OK for creating gates.

here's the info;
http://www.doepfer.de/DIY/a100_capacitors.htm

i modify all my modules to suit the jobs i'm doin with them.

if you want to get nice wobbly rhythms, use two A162s instead of the switching, then you can have all 4 16ths individually adjustable.
what ive found is if you delay the downbeat and have different shuffles on each delayed 16th, you get much more interesting and individual rhythms, that make standard shuffle sound boring in comparison.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Oh, nice! Thanks for that. I'll give it a shot.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

Sorry about the late reply and thanks for the input! I'm glad you all like my planner. I'm waiting on Equinoxoz to get make noise stuff in before I buy my first batch, Mission 9 came in the mail last week. It's going to be quite a journey! I understand a hell of a lot more than i did when i started here, but a lot of the modular jargon still confuses me. Its a learning process i guess.

@steevio: Thanks for the heads up man that sound like a pain, But the main reason I included the clockwork was for midi sync from my laptop or to my 808..

@oblioblioblio: Yeah batches at a time is the plan. I'm still keeping an eye out for a QMMG, the timbremix looks cool but only low pass gates.. I'm really happy with my layout. Metasonix stuff was considered.. maybe if i decide to expand.

Thanks again for starting this forum.. very inspiring!
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

Sorry about the late reply and thanks for the input! I'm glad you all like my planner. I'm waiting on Equinoxoz to get make noise stuff in before I buy my first batch, Mission 9 came in the mail last week. It's going to be quite a journey! I understand a hell of a lot more than i did when i started here, but a lot of the modular jargon still confuses me. Its a learning process i guess.

@steevio: Thanks for the heads up man that sound like a pain, The main reason I included the clockwork was for midi sync from my laptop or to my 808..

@oblioblioblio: Yeah batches at a time is the plan. I'm still keeping an eye out for a QMMG, the timbremix looks cool but only low pass gates.. Metasonix stuff was considered.. maybe if i decide to expand.I'm really happy with my layout.

Thanks again for starting this forum and inspiring me to go modular. You guys are great!
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

goomba wrote:
@steevio: Thanks for the heads up man that sound like a pain, But the main reason I included the clockwork was for midi sync from my laptop or to my 808..
you'd be much better off with a kenton pro 2 or something, or there are other midi / CV modules available, or maybe Silent Way or something

the clockwork is digital in the worst possible sense, the resolution is terrible, if you're used to working ITB, with high resolution you'll be shocked at how coarse the clockwork is.
i really found it just didnt gell with the rest of my modular. i really hated it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

enjoy it goomba. You'll pick up all the info you need by simply exploring.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Ok so I have been silent on the modular front for a bit because we had our first baby son this year and I had to curb the ol' GAS.

But now I am saving up for various bits of kit and am looking into modular again... been making a lot of acid lately and really think some modular stuff will be absolute madness with my 303 and 606.

Anyone seen the Analogue Solutions Station X and Y? I've considering one of each paired with a Dark Time as a modular primer.

Of course the eurorack modules are what really get me crazy, but sometimes I wonder if I am ready to make a year long project out of building a synth as I am fairly productive in my studio right now.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

coldfuture wrote:Ok so I have been silent on the modular front for a bit because we had our first baby son this year and I had to curb the ol' GAS.

But now I am saving up for various bits of kit and am looking into modular again... been making a lot of acid lately and really think some modular stuff will be absolute madness with my 303 and 606.

Anyone seen the Analogue Solutions Station X and Y? I've considering one of each paired with a Dark Time as a modular primer.

Of course the eurorack modules are what really get me crazy, but sometimes I wonder if I am ready to make a year long project out of building a synth as I am fairly productive in my studio right now.
can't talk from too much experience... but modular does pretty well when you drop everything else from your set up and embrace the entalgled organic beautiful mess. Although I think there are lots of people doing half and half set ups or just a little taste of modular.

If you're not too sure about the best time to get into it, honestly, it's good right now. Some of these manufacturers might not even be around this time next year, and the prices are only going to go one way from this point... in many ways analogue is a dying industry... important components are being discontinued all the time... we are lucky these modular guys are keeping it real and fighting against the tide.

Get a little case like tiptop zrails desktop thing (you can easily sell if you decide to expand), and get stuck in... if you have analogue gear right now there are plenty of ways to fit modular signals into your current machines.