DSI Tempest

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:i doubt whether eric sold one of those machines on the back of that demo.
i'm a big fan of metasonix gear, i love my R51 but that drum machine looks like a big waste of money to me, and nobody from the machinedrum age is ever going to buy one after seeing that demo

but at least he tried to do something different
he's one of the few people making music machines who actually seems to take pride in not selling his gear.

I think the machine is likely aimed at people making heavy distorted kinda music.. industrial or whatever. But depending on what exactly is possible, it might work with techno... although you'd certainly want to sequence it yourself.

I agree it's probably not his best design... and I do salute his taste for always doing something interesting. The R-series is utterly fantastic.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:in contrast ive got 56 individual modules in my set-up which are pretty much handbuilt from good quality components, and i havent had a single one fail in any way in a year of caning the arse off them.
+1 on that.

I've had one or 2 minor teething difficulties, but all these modular machines are built to last long long into the future. Both from design and component choice (i.e. parts which are not in short supply)

Not a single worry in that department. One manufacturer even offers a gaurantee against mechanical defects for the lifetime of the product, for any possible owners (i.e. first, second, third etc). Whats the deal with that exactly?

(sorry modular offtopic again... )
Beaumont
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Beaumont »

Pretty stoked to try this out. Have not pulled the trigger on any DSI gear yet. Gonna be a long six months of anticipation to try it out. I love the fact they threw in the prophet VS waves. Could use them for some very cool pitched perc. And PYM from Dsi was saying he is gonna work on the sample import and hopefully have it ready before the release. I love the fact that the pads are in a row of eight. Will allow for super fast step writing when jamming.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

tone-def wrote:i don't think it will have much effect on 808/909 prices.
bad new for the MD and jomox.
I went and played with it at the DSI booth yesterday at NAMM. The Tempest is awesome, but it in no way will affect use of MD's or any of the classics.

It is entirely its own beast and needs to be thought of as something more abstract like 6x Evolvers with an amazing interface that is specialized in creating drum sounds. I don't think it will replace desire for other drum machines, but I know that I definitely want one to join my fleet of machines. :)
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban