jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

England is awash with good ales

St Peters
Loads of Organic Ales
Spitfire etc

Budweiser- is not a bad easy drinking lager... Not too keen on Miller or other American beers.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

American IPA is different from the English I believe. More hoppy and higher alcohol content I think.

I haven't tried Pliney The Elder, but I'd like to. I love trying new brews. I've had Titan and it's one of my favorite standard IPA's. Tastes similar to dogfishead 60 minute, but I like Titan a lot more.

I had the great divide oak aged Rumble over the Summer. WOW!! What a freakin beer. My local brew pub had it on tap. I asked them to buy a keg, but they wouldn't do it :D

My favorite Double IPA is Bell's brewery Hopslam. I love it. Stoudt's Double IPA is a good Pennsylvania brew along with Troeg's Nugget Nectar (double amber ale) and East End Brewery's Big Hop. A restaurant in Pittsburgh started brewing there own beer a year ago and their IPA was surprisingly very good. I forget the name of the spot though.

There are good brewery's everywhere. That's what makes it so awesome! So much good beer!!!
Emote Music
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Emote Music »

Phase Ghost wrote:American IPA is different from the English I believe. More hoppy and higher alcohol content I think.

I haven't tried Pliney The Elder, but I'd like to. I love trying new brews. I've had Titan and it's one of my favorite standard IPA's. Tastes similar to dogfishead 60 minute, but I like Titan a lot more.

I had the great divide oak aged Rumble over the Summer. WOW!! What a freakin beer. My local brew pub had it on tap. I asked them to buy a keg, but they wouldn't do it :D

My favorite Double IPA is Bell's brewery Hopslam. I love it. Stoudt's Double IPA is a good Pennsylvania brew along with Troeg's Nugget Nectar (double amber ale) and East End Brewery's Big Hop. A restaurant in Pittsburgh started brewing there own beer a year ago and their IPA was surprisingly very good. I forget the name of the spot though.

There are good brewery's everywhere. That's what makes it so awesome! So much good beer!!!
Wow, you've had some good stuff. Glad to see there was Rumble on tap, that's impressive. I was in Alaska this summer, and the beer selection on draft in AK is great there too. I saw Great Divide's Double Wit and 16th Anny Ales on tap as well as a slew of good AK breweries - Moose's Tooth was the one that stood out.

I love absolutely everything by Bell's, but for some reason, they don't distribute to Colorado, so it's always a special treat to see Bells around and on tap.

Three Floyds Brewery from Indiana was a brewery that really brought their A game to GABF this past year. That Troeg's double amber ale sounds really intriguing, and is definitely something that I'd love to try.

Keep the suggestions coming. I had no clue there were so many techno/beer nerds.
JNX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JNX »

Emote Music wrote: I love absolutely everything by Bell's, but for some reason, they don't distribute to Colorado, so it's always a special treat to see Bells around and on tap.
I love me some Bell's, for IPA their Two Hearted Ale is awesome. They sure do love their beer too judging by the ever increasing prices of their seasonal releases.

Lagunitas makes a stellar IPA too, and uhhhh...the obvious choice- Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute IPA.

I'm all about the seasonals. I love that beer companies read my mind as the seasons change and know exactly what kind of beer i'm wanting when the weather changes. The scotch and bourbon styled brews hit the sweet spot this time of year.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

sorry lads englands were the beer is.... ;)
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

JNX wrote:
pafufta816 wrote:new belgium is a joke to their style. i'm not saying they are awful, but compared to actual belgian ales they don't stand a chance. many years ago i bought fat tire religiously, until i drank ommegangs fin de monde amber ale. after that all i can taste with fat tire is wet dog and stank.
New Belgium brews lots of different kinds of beer. Your first mistake is comparing Fat Tire to Fin Du Monde. Come on guy. :lol:

NB actually makes some fantastic Belgian style ales. Try "The Abbey", a dubbel, or the "Trippel".
^This.

Also, their Lips of Faith series is pretty damn incredible.

Fat Tire is supposed to be an easy drinking ale, and if it tastes like wet dog and stank to you, you might go have a medical exam done on your tastebuds cuz man they are seriously effed up.

There is no reason why a person can't like the easier taste of a simple amber and also the megaton bomb that is a traditional Tripel or perhaps an experimental Imperial IPA.

There's enough room in beer-town for all the styles.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Phase Ghost wrote:American IPA is different from the English I believe. More hoppy and higher alcohol content I think.

Hey man, don't forget your local Victory's Hop Wallop. I have been drinking that like its free. :)
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Well just as an FYI for the beer fans: The following is a partial list of just San Diego city and probably 1 out of every 3 listed here has several medals from the World Beer Cup and the World Beer Festival in Germany. There are so many more in the state of California's other cities it would take me a week to compile even a respectable list. The number of medals is insane.

Not to mention we also are home to White Labs, who produce the yeast for most of the breweries in the world including some major ones in the UK, Germany, and most especially Belgium... they literally have secret vaults at White Labs holding the precious yeast strains for these breweries.

I highly recommend you check out these names and encourage you to list your favorites here so I can go look them up. Bell is first on my list since they got so much love from the thread. My personal faves are in bold here, and the up and comers have a star. That is by no means saying the others aren't amazing, because they are.

Alesmith Brewing Company

Alpine Beer Company

Automatic Brewing*

Ballast Point Brewing Company

Backstreeet Brewery

Breakwater Brewing Company

Brew House at EastLake

Coronado Brewing

Five Points

Green Flash Brewing Company*

Hess Brewing*

Iron Fist