Dry? And interest in composition

- ask away
dranfu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Dry? And interest in composition

Post by dranfu »

Hi guys/gals, this is my first post to the forum and I'm very happy to have found a forum with so many serious musicians.

Anyway, my question is a pretty basic one: I just want some general feedback on a couple of tracks. Specificaly, I think that whenever I make a track, everything sounds really "dry." I don't think it's a reverb or delay issue, but there is just this dry quality that seems to dominate all my tracks.

Also, whenever I make a track, I'm very excited about how it sounds in the beginning, but then later--after repeated listens--it seems as if there is not enough variety or interest in it--it starts sounding boring; and, of course, when I try to add a lot of little "bleeps and bloops," it starts to sound confused.

Am I being too critical, or is there some major improvements that need to be made?

I would appreciate any feedback you guys could give--your opinions are much respected. You can find the two tracks I'm refering to listed below for critique.

Peace,

Vito.

Music Located at: http://www.myspace.com/agentatari

Track 1. Kristineuntitled--seems to get boring

Track 2. Kristinemirk--seems very dry and perhaps loses interest, too.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

ill agree with you ......maybe use some subtle effects here n there .......and if you can maybe add a long bass melody from the same synth you used under that changes things more and doesnt sound so..the same....i think it sounds good..not my cup but yeah it sounds good
forky forkerson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by forky forkerson »

I think you are being too critical. For a song you performed and produced it may get boring too you because you know every minute detail and flaw of the song. But the only thing I know to recommend to combat dullness or loss of interest would be changing dynamics, loud to soft, fast to slow, and interesting breaks etc... keep the listener on there feet.

As for the tracks being "dry" I dont really hear much of that. But good mastering can cure that. There are alot of mastering plugins that may help: Tube compressors and pre amps, tape emulation, and good EQing. But since this is a minimal forum less is more.

Overall I Like your tracks and think you did a good job.
[ññP]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [ññP] »

my tracks are dry too...and i like them that way 8)
que son esos ruiditos?
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

hm i often get my sounds more wet when using a spring reverb.. probably u should try this.. slightly applied of course
dranfu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dranfu »

thanks fo your feedback, guys.gals. And yes, you're right. I need to put more fills in my songs. for some reason, I'm horrible at creating good fills. But I'm going to repost another question, this time being more specific about the problem I'm having.