Anybody ever perform?

- ask away
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

Robot Criminal wrote:I would also like to hear some tips & tricks on live performance with ableton live. Like what setup do u guys use? Just your laptop and xone92 and/or some other midi controllers or an extensive set of outbox gear (like compressors or whatever the f* for sound or all this goes on inside ableton)?
yeah, same here. i've only just got into this and could use some advice too. ableton live is great and it's amazing how quickly i've got a set together - importing loop components of my tracks. But there's a lot more potential control over the sound that i need to learn about.

Also, I can quickly see that a more comprehensive MIDI controller would be very useful. I've got the Evolution X-Session DJ controller. Wouldn't mind getting a Faderfox set-up though - looks pretty handy.

I recommend that everyone interested in this thread check out this link also - maybe not all of our kind of sound (or maybe it is for some) but the video is very insightful and inspiring: http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... imexile_us

I happened to find this guy playing to a modest little gathering in a local pub a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know who he was and then by coincidence someone sent me this link a few days later. The amount of control and improvisation capabilities he has in his set is really stunning.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

He also holds a university degree in Electro-acoustic Composition, which together with his extensive knowledge of DSP programming allows him to lace his music with unique sounds and impressive attention to detail.
u have to do some good sh!t if u got that much knowledge about it :P

edit:
this is insane, aphex twin insane :shock:
thanks 4 the link
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

i used to play out a decent amount. this was back before ableton ever
came out (or reason).

the only advice i can think of is to prepare as much as possible. know
your loops/sounds and where you can go with them. all of my old pa's
were with an mpc2000 and some efx. since the mpc isnt really known
for a lot flexibility while playing live, i had to know beforehand exactly
what tracks and programs to switch to and when. the nights where
things got a little confused where always interesting....especially the
one where i was a bit high and hooked up my fx processors and
compressors wrong. sh!t sounded a bit strange.
Layborn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Layborn »

hmmm..I just started playing my stuff out..before that I've been djing for years. And I love it. But I love playing my own stuff more so...I can't even explain how much more I get from this..
Much more to come.
-Layborn-
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

i think the trick is to get a really solid live set together and really learn your medium for playing it. come with your own approach taking as many tips and advice from anyone that's any good at it.....then

when you have put out enough demos of your liveset and ppl are really excited to book you, turn them down flat. it's like women, you tell them you're too busy and have to much going on and they will flock to you!

of course i'm kidding about the latter, but really the proof is in the pudding brotha, if you're sh!t is the bomb the bookings will follow. your material should be there 1st, worry about that.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Heres a few tips i can give from my experience:

*know your audience

If your playing in a mainstream club or a rock venue of the sort, people may not have much interest in mnml music. So maybe bring some of your more dancefloor friendly material. Before you play go around and talk to people, see what the are about..The more you understand them the better youll play.

* support, support, support!!!!

Find anyone in your area that is doing similar things of interest. The more that promoter sees your face or name, the more likely your going to get gigs. Get on that dance floor and shake hands.

* loosen up before your gig

Have a drink or two before the show. I find that i relax better and often times flow better when ive had a drink or two. Also, most likely if your playing in a club the patrons are intoxicated so your on the same page as your audience.

*know the venue

If your playing in a small club, your likely to get some chin strokers...so put on a damn performance! Go nuts, be weird and show that this really is your passion. Eye contact is a big one too. Making eye contact with your audience will keep them there longer.
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

minimal house wrote:Heres a few tips i can give from my experience:

*know your audience

If your playing in a mainstream club or a rock venue of the sort, people may not have much interest in mnml music. So maybe bring some of your more dancefloor friendly material. Before you play go around and talk to people, see what the are about..The more you understand them the better youll play.

* support, support, support!!!!

Find anyone in your area that is doing similar things of interest. The more that promoter sees your face or name, the more likely your going to get gigs. Get on that dance floor and shake hands.

* loosen up before your gig

Have a drink or two before the show. I find that i relax better and often times flow better when ive had a drink or two. Also, most likely if your playing in a club the patrons are intoxicated so your on the same page as your audience.

*know the venue

If your playing in a small club, your likely to get some chin strokers...so put on a damn performance! Go nuts, be weird and show that this really is your passion. Eye contact is a big one too. Making eye contact with your audience will keep them there longer.
I completely agree with this, specially the last part.
Make them remember you...

:)
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

jam at home until its second nature. record lots of sessions. Just like djing, you might get nervous if you know someone else can hear it again. thankfully, playing live can be a lot easier. the track will never run out, skip, etc. Most live pas bore people. Maybe its because they get booked cuz of a big dancefloor record and have created mostly nonpumping tracks. It is then a question of where you play in a party. I have always opened, but I enjoy knowing what the very first sound was all the way to whehre the room goes off.

ableton is wonderful, but you better use controllers and a drum machine is highly recommended. Software crashes a lot more than hardware - and jamming on gear is still more intuitive. Dont forget the controller. Playing live gives you hte optin of details in music that records could never touch, but its silly to access them one click at a time when onstage.

livepa.org is a great forum for such stuff. not many minimal guys, but that doesnt matter.
freeeeeee