The Promo Mix

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

nah, na, nah... an debate is when two or more groups or individuals come together to weigh the the pros and cons of the effects of some particular practice which affects some common experience or resources of the said parties.

It crosses over to an argument when one side starts painting the other side with broad dismissive strokes which declare the others opinions and practices to be unworthy of respect or consideration. That is the fine line which is rarely respected.

Lets keep this on track though... this is about digital vs vinyl... not promo mixes or something... come on!
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I find when this argument comes up that people start whipping out a lot of great analogies to the paradigm of digital vs vinyl. Its entertaining.

I would just like to add this observation.

A while back I was chatting with these two guys who between them have over 60 years in the music business non dance/club/rave music related. I mean like real professionals who ran music studios and mastered many instruments. Myself being the obvious one who was out of his element.

We were having a discussion about the progression of the music industry and its future, especially regarding sales venues. These pro-vinyl discussions which I read on "electronic music" forums are never too far from my mind when these subjects come up so I broached the topic of going back to vinyl or releasing on vinyl and got laughed at straight out. This one guy even became condescending, likening my affection for vinyl to his daughter who tried to buy all her music on vinyl... what a fool she was. Then they prattled on for some length about the downfalls of long term vinyl ownership, the small profit margins and in particular the degradation of audio quality.

By the end of the conversation I kind of felt like an idiot, caught up in some marketing bullshit... my ears closed to reality.

in the end though...

I have been playing some of my older records lately and to be honest I think that my newly acquired MP3 versions sound much better, especially in the higher frequencies. I don't really believe that vinyl sound better, just different. Different dynamic range.

To me vinyl sounds a little smoother but more compressed/restricted at the same time so its a trade off. I think it really comes down to a matter of which frequencies you like to focus on when you listen to music.
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

iainkerr7 wrote: Yes I agree with you but I think within the digital scene their is too much importance on having the beatport top 10 in your playlist, and you find that these kidn of folk steal their music.
I don't know who you think you're fooling here kiddo, but Top Tens have been around LONG BEFORE Beatport. Loads of bedroom DJ's have ripped tracks and playlists from magazines,blog sites, and online record shops before Beatport was relevant.
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

mick finesse wrote:
iainkerr7 wrote: Yes I agree with you but I think within the digital scene their is too much importance on having the beatport top 10 in your playlist, and you find that these kidn of folk steal their music.
I don't know who you think you're fooling here kiddo, but Top Tens have been around LONG BEFORE Beatport. Loads of bedroom DJ's have ripped tracks and playlists from magazines,blog sites, and online record shops before Beatport was relevant.
I dont think the point was about the top 10s in the past, more to do with today's Beatport culture.

There are plenty of top notch top 10s, for example the Juno charts, RA charts, LWE, etc etc
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

Ciaran_ wrote:
mick finesse wrote:
I dont think the point was about the top 10s in the past, more to do with today's Beatport culture.

There are plenty of top notch top 10s, for example the Juno charts, RA charts, LWE, etc etc
But that's my point, there is no "Beatport culture" of ripping top tens. 10 years ago when I was buying vinyl kids were basing their purchases off of top tens. This isn't anything new or groundbreaking.
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

To be honest, generally speaking I don't download vinyl only mixes when the Dj goes out of the way to point out that they mixed using only vinyl. It really has come to rub me the wrong way. I think this is a reaction the kinds of things that I have read on here. I used to love and respect vinyl as much as the next guy but attitudes of others have changed this feeling and probably not in the way they have intended.

I think DJs should be putting stuff out there just for what it is, ya know? Enjoy this creation. Here is an experience. DJing should be about that, sharing something you enjoy with others.

As soon as I read "Vinyl only mix" I automatically feel like this person is saying... "Look! I did a mix with only vinyl! You should think I am better then others. You should pay respect to my skills." From my perspective I think... well I don't care for this. I want to hear something nice. I want to hear someones expression. I don't care much about how they do it. I care about what it is they are trying to do.

I mean, whats is more important? A technician who is doing all these tricky things just so that you will go wow, you are amazing... or someone with a vision of something significant they wish to share and do by whatever means they can. In the end it is the content which is most important. Not so much the process. Although we must be careful to separate process from the back story and history of a creation. I bring this up because this paragraph made me think of creative works in a wider context but when it comes to DJing/music it really is the content which is important.

I am probably missing out on some good mixes but I feel poisoned to the culture.