- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

victorgonzales wrote:
Atheory wrote:
Red Kite wrote:
steevio wrote:there isnt anything more to say about sending demos.
just send them, if you're a talented musician you're going to succeed eventually whatever happens.
For some reason I don't quite believe that...
how can you believe anything other than that? really, i am always stunned when people talk about this like its a conspiracy?

i suppose it does depend on your interpretations of "talented" but there is no shortage of labels dying to get their hands on exciting, talented producers.

if you try for years and send demos and don't get records out its ONLY because they aren't good enough. that simple.
OR because your sending to the wrong labels that either arent looking or dont fit your sound.
it would take a special kind of negligence to fall into that category. to not understand either your own or a labels style would probably be more of an indication that your struggling to get to terms with your genre, let alone making a noteable addition to it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Atheory wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:
Atheory wrote:
Red Kite wrote:
steevio wrote:there isnt anything more to say about sending demos.
just send them, if you're a talented musician you're going to succeed eventually whatever happens.
For some reason I don't quite believe that...
how can you believe anything other than that? really, i am always stunned when people talk about this like its a conspiracy?

i suppose it does depend on your interpretations of "talented" but there is no shortage of labels dying to get their hands on exciting, talented producers.

if you try for years and send demos and don't get records out its ONLY because they aren't good enough. that simple.
OR because your sending to the wrong labels that either arent looking or dont fit your sound.
it would take a special kind of negligence to fall into that category. to not understand either your own or a labels style would probably be more of an indication that your struggling to get to terms with your genre, let alone making a noteable addition to it.
unfortunately i am sent a lot of material that just isnt right for the label.
it usually comes from people who like my label but dont have a true grasp of what we're trying to achieve. it makes me wonder whether we truly have an identity. i know we have, but maybe that doesnt come across because the releases are quite diverse. i can see the common thread running through it, like funk, trippiness, soul, warmth, experimentation, etc. but not many artists have all the factors present, so maybe they've picked up on a couple of the right elements, but there's usually something missing. alot of what i'm sent isnt that far from the mark, but if one thing is missing, it isnt going to go out on mindtours.
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

steevio wrote: unfortunately i am sent a lot of material that just isnt right for the label.
it usually comes from people who like my label but dont have a true grasp of what we're trying to achieve. it makes me wonder whether we truly have an identity. i know we have, but maybe that doesnt come across because the releases are quite diverse. i can see the common thread running through it, like funk, trippiness, soul, warmth, experimentation, etc. but not many artists have all the factors present, so maybe they've picked up on a couple of the right elements, but there's usually something missing. alot of what i'm sent isnt that far from the mark, but if one thing is missing, it isnt going to go out on mindtours.
From a label's point of view it must be frustrating, but if you're an artist sending demos out, it's better to assume that the label has a bit more stylistic leeway than it actually does. A 1% chance you'll get a release for the cost of sending a CD is worth betting on.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Smear wrote:
steevio wrote: unfortunately i am sent a lot of material that just isnt right for the label.
From a label's point of view it must be frustrating, but if you're an artist sending demos out, it's better to assume that the label has a bit more stylistic leeway than it actually does. A 1% chance you'll get a release for the cost of sending a CD is worth betting on.
absolutely bro !
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
Smear wrote:
absolutely bro !
Mindtours definitely has its own sound. More so then my label Fear of Flying where I would say it has its own sound, but we have been known to drift away from it every now and again. Sometimes its hard for label to stick too your guns, because you may get a demo that isn’t really your sound, but you love it too bits and as far as I am concerned good music is good music and as long as it isn’t breakcore or trance etc im willing to bend the lines of our sound a little.

Saying that though, we do get silly amounts of demo’s that are not even house related and it really makes me wonder what is going through the artists mind when their sending me their demos.

So please if your one of these artists sending me trance, think about it :wink:

Also Steevio you seen this: http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast- ... aspx?id=97 Leifs track on your label is on the latest RA mix.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Im gonna add one very important bit to sending demos.

The people you come into contact with in your journeys of producing have EVERYTHING to do with your future with other labels.

For example, if you get a track released on a good label. You may have two people you don't know remixing your tracks. When they are done with their remix and you review it ask for their email addresses from the label. Send them an email telling them about your thoughts of the remix and try and startup a conversation somehow. That person may become your next hookup.

Every person you deal with in the industry has hookups that you don't . If you befriend and keep in contact occasionally with all these people ( example:send them a compliment on their latest release ) it becomes a LOT easier to find a home for your latest track.

Open as many doors as you can on your path.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
steevio wrote:
Smear wrote:
absolutely bro !
Mindtours definitely has its own sound. More so then my label Fear of Flying where I would say it has its own sound, but we have been known to drift away from it every now and again. Sometimes its hard for label to stick too your guns, because you may get a demo that isn’t really your sound, but you love it too bits and as far as I am concerned good music is good music and as long as it isn’t breakcore or trance etc im willing to bend the lines of our sound a little.

Saying that though, we do get silly amounts of demo’s that are not even house related and it really makes me wonder what is going through the artists mind when their sending me their demos.

So please if your one of these artists sending me trance, think about it :wink:

Also Steevio you seen this: http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast- ... aspx?id=97 Leifs track on your label is on the latest RA mix.
thanks for that mate, i didnt know about it, thats weird, thats the release from 2003 that i mentioned earlier in this post.
Armando_C
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Armando_C »

Do you think that sending a link of soundcloud with the songs @ 320 kbps will be good?