i need some help.

- ask away
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

i need some help.

Post by accdntly »

thats right i need help. i need to figure out how to do stuff on my computer but have been to shy to ask and was scared of looking like a retard. but i need help. i have a mac running 10.3.4. yadayadayada most of these questions have to do with ableton live v. 4

1.lets say i want to save a sound from a websight like "bird calls" or "monk chants". how do i do it? dont i just klick that little triangle to the right and save it as something? why when i do this it prompts me to buy something?

2.i need some nice free vsts and plug ins. anybody have a link to something specific. not one of those pages with like a thousand option. i just want a few nice toys. and how do i plug them in or run them in live?

3. if i want to take clips from one song and put use them in another how do i do that? i assumed id just click and drag to the device browser but i cant.

thats it for now. snicker if you will id just appreciate if someone could help me out.
L,
andrew
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: i need some help.

Post by jpls »

accdntly wrote: 2.i need some nice free vsts and plug ins. anybody have a link to something specific. not one of those pages with like a thousand option. i just want a few nice toys. and how do i plug them in or run them in live?
hm...well, if you have friends who use live and are also mac...they might
be able to 'assist' you. i am not sure how this works exactly on macs, but
with pcs i install all vsts into the same folder. then, in the preferences of
live you will select this folder and scan it for plugins. from there, live will
know where to find your plugins everytime you use it.
using a vst is similar to using a live effect. there is a small 'plug' icon
in the upper left of the screen near where you would find the live effects.
drag and drop it into a track.
accdntly wrote: 3. if i want to take clips from one song and put use them in another how do i do that? i assumed id just click and drag to the device browser but i cant.
i thought there was an export clip function, but i might be thinking of
live5. a very simple method would be exporting each clip for use later.
brianc might have some better advice on this since i do not use clips
as heavily as most people.

good luck!
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: i need some help.

Post by brianc »

accdntly wrote:3. if i want to take clips from one song and put use them in another how do i do that? i assumed id just click and drag to the device browser but i cant.
You're almost there, but not quite. To save a clip, drag it over to the file browser. It will then highlight the clip, and you can re-name it. After that, if you ever want to use that clip again, just drag it into your session from the file browser and you're set.

This technique can be used in a few different ways. Instead of dragging a single clip over to save it, you can also drag entire tracks (by dragging the top of the track over). You can even use it to just store combinations of devices and effects.

This has become my favorite way of using live...
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

thank you
Bobby Raven
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bobby Raven »

Hi mate, if you are still looking for help with your Mac send me a pm. It's not a problem for me to help where i can with osx and live (don't worry about asking stoopid questions, it's better than never knowing at all!!).

Cheers,

BR

PS. Hold control before you click on the sound link to download.

:wink:
ironlion
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Help? Help!

Post by ironlion »

Aye. If you need any sort of help with OSX, Reason, or anything else (getting Live soon), my knowledge is yours for a PM. I'm a touch shy myself, but it seems these mnml folks are a smart and friendly lot!

Darrell