Synth part composition issue

- ask away
Sipe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Synth part composition issue

Post by Sipe »

I have a problem. I Figured it'd go away at some point but it isn't, so i'll ask you folks for some advice.

I can make a groovin' drum part. Drums are no problem to me. The only drum issues I have now are my drum machine and it's limits. Now, gentlemen (and ladies) the issue at hand:

All my synth parts sound very melodic and commercial. Not that melody is nessisarily bad, it's just that I feel that techno is not a place for catchy melodies, but rather rhythm and groove. I can make my drums groove, but my synths just don't work. I think I need another synth (I'm all hardware based right now) or I need to tweak my current synth sounds or something. What I'm really asking for, though, is tips/views on where/how much/when synth belongs. What is enough for you? What is to much? I know what I want my music to sound like, but i'm having a hard time "fleshing" it out.

Side note, i'm not trying to rip off any of your respective styles or grooves, I just want some input from the others in the field.

Thanks to you all. Hopefully this will fix the situation
"The techno sound of detroit [...] lacking any human musicianship in its execution reeks of sweat, sex and desire. The creators of that music just press a few buttons and out comes - a million years of pain and lust." ~ The JAMs
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

make smaller notes with less release on them and play with lfo lots

see.... for some more advice

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5050
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

also try to keep your synthlines minimal, sometimes when you have a board sitting in front of you the tendancy is to pretend you are beethoven.
sometimes the simplest chord in succesion with your drums can create enough melody to carry the groove. then tweaking over a few bars can give the illusion of movement. start small, then work it up to a bigger sound and more notes. (matthew jonson is the master of small synthlines, big synthlines and layering) i would take a listen to him closely for a bit, in fact i think i'm going to as well, my synths need a little work............. good idea lee.
ironlion
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Note-From-Beat

Post by ironlion »

I'll often add another drum element and replace it with a synth tone of some sort. Since I've spent a little time fitting the new drum in, the replacement synth will have a role to fill, so I'll tweak it til it's rubbing along with the groove. I'll do it again to get a second, third, however many I need to get a ghost of a melody.

Basically, I approach it gently. I start simple and tease melody from rhythm, rhythm from melody. If I listen hard enough, my drums will suggest a lil somethin to me, and I'll carefully put quiet notes here and there in communication with the beat. A bit religious, wouldn't it seem?

What kinda rig've you got working? And what sort of synth would you grab?

Hope this helps!

Darrell