mnml newbie

Post by pnd »

I see where you're coming from :)
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

http://soundcloud.com/futureplanningcom ... n-progress
work in progress that could be maybe considered this sound?
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

MarkA wrote:http://soundcloud.com/futureplanningcom ... n-progress
work in progress that could be maybe considered this sound?
Solid production man, but it's not Berghain. You're hitting on more of a Cadenza feel bordering on Bedrock with it's proggy tech attitude.

1.1 is a bit closer with its ravey feel, it sounds similar to some recent stuff I've bought off of Ostgut Ton. Good work though none-the-less!
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
bkm1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bkm1978 »

devontodetroit wrote:
bkm1978 wrote:Some ppl are saying this sounds Berghain like....Im not so sure personally, but I guess I can hear bits and pieces. My remix of BCR Boys

http://soundcloud.com/benmill/bcr-boys- ... mix-128mp3
This really works, Comes from a deep gloomy disposition.. The percussian at 5mins drives it like a freight train.

BANG
Cheers mate :)
bkm1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bkm1978 »

Cheers all for the feedback :) Much appreciated. I see that BCR remix as being pretty relevant here. Any q's? on anything then fire away.

I applaud those who say 'be original' and 'blaze your own trail'. But facts are you must learn the rules before bending them. As MF touched on before, nothing is born if not coming from influence and, undoubtedly, all output will be marked with your personal stamp anyway.
pnd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pnd »

Hehe, I'm just being adversarial for the sake of it. The beaty for me is in that edge between chaos (the indigestible) and order (the digestible). BCR remix is nice!
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

I'll shoot.

Really like that track Ben & your willingness to teach Mate. Fair play 8)

2 Questions. Such a cool track!

1.Would love to know about how you went about that Delay pattern, what the ballpark settings used to get that groove.. was it with a multitap delay? That falling apart sound is really interesting, but I havent been able to get it with the Stereo Delay in Logic. Would love to understand the technique.

2. What type of reverbs are you using? I use Logic & am mainly using Short Plates in Space Designer. But to be honest I'm trying to push myself, so I'm just experimenting loads with different FX chain combos & automation. Theres a lot of delay in the track, just wondering if you are using that over reverb on some of the elements?

Anyway - Love the way it builds. Lots of great rhythms popping up, progressing with the each element as it continues. I've listened to it a fair bit now & have heard something different each time.

Exactly the type of thing I always intend to do.. but cant resist adding the kitchen sink in the end! LOL

Hope my Q's werent too intrusive. Appreciate your time.

Just to say again - Great track, best of luck with it & also for the future.

Cheers,

J

*Let the slating commence* :lol:
bkm1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bkm1978 »

ICN wrote:I'll shoot.

Really like that track Ben & your willingness to teach Mate. Fair play 8)

2 Questions. Such a cool track!

1.Would love to know about how you went about that Delay pattern, what the ballpark settings used to get that groove.. was it with a multitap delay? That falling apart sound is really interesting, but I havent been able to get it with the Stereo Delay in Logic. Would love to understand the technique.

2. What type of reverbs are you using? I use Logic & am mainly using Short Plates in Space Designer. But to be honest I'm trying to push myself, so I'm just experimenting loads with different FX chain combos & automation. Theres a lot of delay in the track, just wondering if you are using that over reverb on some of the elements?

Anyway - Love the way it builds. Lots of great rhythms popping up, progressing with the each element as it continues. I've listened to it a fair bit now & have heard something different each time.

Exactly the type of thing I always intend to do.. but cant resist adding the kitchen sink in the end! LOL

Hope my Q's werent too intrusive. Appreciate your time.

Just to say again - Great track, best of luck with it & also for the future.

Cheers,

J

*Let the slating commence* :lol:
Hey buddy :) Cheers for the feedback mate :) Much appreciated.

I wasnt expecting such specific questions! hahaha, I dont actually have the session on the HD anymore but, if you are referring to the hats delay (?) that drifts, its not multi tap no, Just stereo delay with ping pong but if I remember right, it was fed into 2 of them with different patterns, so I guess it could have been done on mulit tap, but I've not used multi tap before so couldnt say, I think its important to note that its as much about the pattern I have written as it is about the delay I have chosen, the delay only helps emphasize the groove of what I've written, if that makes sense.
As for the 'falling apart'...not sure what you mean man?
If i remember right, I used a free VSt effect: stereo delay by Karma, Karma FX Dee-Lay. Though it was months ago I finished that track so dont quote me!
Reverbs I use are Mainly the platinum in Logic ( I am on 5.5.1!), Epic verb (free vst) and KJaerhouse (free VST). Again I cant get into settings exactly but I did run alot of those verbs in that track through LPF's (obviously the cut off filter was set fairly high, but low enough to emphasize the mood of the track, its dark and gritty, so the highs have gotta be rolled off to emphasize that and resonance set at the right frequency as well can only serve to highlight that mood even more: In order to make your track sounding 'big and cavenous' 2 words synonymous with Berghain. Of course consider your reverb times too and consider what sounds are bussed to what reverbs. Maybe bus percussion to shorter verbs and one off shots to longer verbs.
Yeah I am pretty sure that on any of my delay buses I slapped some reverb on there too. I usually do this so I dont think this track was any different :)
Hope this helps man, probably not much! Completely forget that this session has been long backed up and removed from the HD. Sorry bro :)