Why has tech/min spawned so many netlabels compared to...

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Why has tech/min spawned so many netlabels compared to...

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Why has techno / minimal music spawned so many netlabels compared to other genre? Sometimes I search out good netlabels for other kinds of music that I like but I meet with little success in finding anything of worth.

Any thoughts as to why this is? Is it because the artists feel the genre is commercially unviable or perhaps this is the result of an ideological view?
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i also find that there are a huge amount of expiramental/noise/ambient related labels as well. i find a ton of psytrance/goa, but for the most part i've found trance netlabels have indecipherable webpages, and way to much hype for releases.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

It's because minimal has been popular during the last several years. If netlabels took off now, it might be a bunch of deep tech house.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

simple: tech house and techno etc can be made at home, on your pc. With a bit of luck, you can create a decent track that way, and all you need to opay then is mastering. Although most netlabels don't even do that.

Whereas rock or whatever requires money to record in a studio, master, produce,... and a netlabel simply doesn't have money to pay for all that.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

there's loads of net labels for guitar music...

you can get a pretty good sound on basic equipment these days... hence the explosion of garage bands over the years.

what's that web site where independent artists and labels can release music on and the site only take a small cut of sales... that site has tons of guitar music on it.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

some big names in the scene got involved and people took notice.