computer advice

- open
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

Robot Criminal wrote:
lejockey wrote:Ok guys, I did ask this not to be a 'buy a mac' thread. Why would I buy a Mac when I have bought all the software for a PC?
ehm. khm. mmmmaybe then install windows on it like I (and I'm sure many people) did? Easy-peasy + it runs great!
(ok soon u'll find yourself running mostly osx anyway...)
can't go wrong with an 15" i7 MBP
spend thousands of $ on a Mac to install Windows? :?
- matt
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

infernal.techno wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote:
lejockey wrote:Ok guys, I did ask this not to be a 'buy a mac' thread. Why would I buy a Mac when I have bought all the software for a PC?
ehm. khm. mmmmaybe then install windows on it like I (and I'm sure many people) did? Easy-peasy + it runs great!
(ok soon u'll find yourself running mostly osx anyway...)
can't go wrong with an 15" i7 MBP
spend thousands of $ on a Mac to install Windows? :?
I've only heard VERY good about people doing this. That the windows SO runs SO great... (dunno, haven't tried it myself)...
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Oh no doubt it works well, but it seems like not such a feasible option with his budget and OS preference ;)
- matt
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

infernal.techno wrote:Oh no doubt it works well, but it seems like not such a feasible option with his budget and OS preference ;)
That could be true :)
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

patrick bateman wrote:solid state = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
no moving parts.

Load of OS, load of applications = extremely fast!

but = $$$
Yeah solid state drives look like the way to go if money is not an issue. Last month I was doing some research regarding the optimal hardware for building a dedicated machine that would be capable of editing HD video with ease. I read an article by some guys who just finished building such a system and they offered a rundown of their conclusions and tests. They found that solid state far outshines SATA disk drives when it came to the speed of access to data. Not so much the overall throughput but more the actual response time. They found that when "scrubbing" video the response time for disks was 15ms while the response time for solid state dives was as low as 2ms! I would love to work on such a system. (I don't remember exactly the numbers but these are extremely close if not correct.)

I don't know if this attribute would be useful for music production though because most samples and audio reside in your ram rather then the disks I would imagine. Recording may be another matter though. The low latency of the solid state drives may be a boon.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

infernal.techno wrote:Oh no doubt it works well, but it seems like not such a feasible option with his budget and OS preference ;)
true, but it does work great. I use OSX most of the time, but I also have some (older) windows software that I use pretty frequently so it's nice to be able to revert to it when needed, and on the same machine. Works perfectly.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

windows 7 works great on a non-Apple computer too ;)
- matt
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

Well, ended up budgetinbg and buying a dell with i5 2.4 gig processor and 4 gig ddr3 ram. Running windows seven and its running like a dream. Really impressed with the OS and the whole system runs plenty fast enough. Cost just shy of £700 in the end and I would recommend this system to people who, like me are on a tight budget (just nearly typod 'midget' instead of budget...)

Thanks for all the advice and the good friendly debate. SO glad this thread didnt go the way it could have!

All the best