Selling Out - how much music artists earn online

- open
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

fugazi wrote: Johnny D is a good guy playing with laptop and controller.. Also Guti, but he sucks a lot!
if you say johnny d is a good dj you have no idea what you're talking about
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

now beat matching is not the focus anymore, its more important stuff u/dj's can focus on.
beat matchin is nothing special anymore.
of course thats why Magda and Carola play with Traktor Scratch.

i post the question again
can anyone name some famous laptop DJ's who made a name for themselves by playing with a laptop and a controller?

i don't see any new guys coming though and making it big using beat sync. it's all live acts or traditional beat match DJing as far as i can see.
so Magda and Carola are out of question. They are not new and not beat syncing.

Which leaves us with live acts.

there are nice live acts out there and they can play weird, new, good, creative music - no doubt about that.
but they are not DJs, thats the reason why no one would want to hear a 5 hours marc houl set or Johnny D Set. They can be creative in some ways but they are very limited in other ways. Thats also the reason why no live act will headline any decent festival or party ever.

and last of all they always make a name of themselves because of their productions and never cause of there gigs ...

so the question still remains ..

which DJ with beat sync is on the rise? for me no one comes to mind and thats despite its the "future" for more than 5 years ..

i believe you can only make a name of yourself if you are well respected within the DJ scene, cause most of the time DJs are in controll of the partys everywhere

and i cant imagine how a new young beat sync DJ would get well respected for his skills in his local DJ scene .. i mean seriously .. it will never happen.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Its quite true really - a lot of people still play CD's and records. Its easier for one, especially CD's how easy it to carry a wallet around with you, plus the setup isnt needed as would have on a laptop\controller set.

Not knocking that, but its EASIER to play with media at the moment -even a USB stick which I sometimes play off on CDJ400's
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

thomasjaldemark wrote:everyday you discuss this you all die a little
This.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:most of the time DJs are in controll of the partys everywhere
:!:

Themis wrote: and i cant imagine how a new young beat sync DJ would get well respected for his skills in his local DJ scene .. i mean seriously .. it will never happen.
lol
dr.rodrigobernales
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dr.rodrigobernales »

Why do some people look down on laptop djs? Wouldn't real DJs know that the _music_ is the point, and not if you're spinning some discs made of carbon and hydrogen atoms on some machine? Sure vinyl sounds better... but, come on, that sounds like those movie buffs who can't enjoy a movie unless it's presented in maximun resolution HD or something. IMHO, It's missing the point completely. Digital sounds good enough to most people. Shouldn't we be happier that things are getting less complicated? This kind of debate is comparable to a doctor, who practices open heart surgery on his patients, looking down on other doctors who prefer to use more modern, noninvasive techniques, when in reality the important thing is the survival of the patient. It takes more skill to rip a guys chest open and cut into the meat, and it's more risky and dramatic, so surely a "real" doctor would not favor easier techniques... cause, you know... it's about making things complicated for no other reason than feeling superior.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Themis wrote: Which leaves us with live acts.

there are nice live acts out there and they can play weird, new, good, creative music - no doubt about that.
but they are not DJs, thats the reason why no one would want to hear a 5 hours marc houl set or Johnny D Set. They can be creative in some ways but they are very limited in other ways. Thats also the reason why no live act will headline any decent festival or party ever.
i know loads of nights (including my own) where live acts are the headliners... and yes they are some of the best nights in the UK.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

its all about the music !