New desktop PC

- ask away
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

the hp machine i'm now looking at has 8gb. i've been using a Pentium4 /2.66ghz with only 1gb of RAM so far, so even 4GB will be a big improvement.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Do this ..... http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/09/ho ... to-finish/

I did, and I got the best of both worlds. Mac and PC. Runs flawlessly for 1200$.
squonqdm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by squonqdm »

@ BLM! Tasty!! on my wants list! lol !

@clubfoot - HP are fine, Dell might be cheaper and they do refurb and sometimes on the bay they have Dell Outlet Store with solid deals! .. i'd take either brand.. for desktops.. (lappys/netbooks diff story!)

i've built or upgraded all my rigs.. and specced out plenty of rigs for friends.. everytime i do a full upgrade i always think that it's easier to buy from Dell/HP or prebuilt from OC or similar.. (read below! ) not much in it pricewise..

with Dell HP etc if it goes wrong hardware wise they fix it.. no troubleshooting to do really except maybe 2 hours on the phone with them! lol .. and components are tested for performance by the vendors. so theres no chance for instance that ur GPU has compliancy issues with ur Mobo etc..

one thing i would suggest is to rebuild the OS yourself on an HP etc machine, they normally have kind of stuff u dont want (like extraneous partitions and recovery crap and trialware etc) build it yourself meticulously and you'll have a solid machine that will serve you well (read not crash! )

i've bought a few pre-built machines from overclockers.co.uk (for friends asking for nu-machines) .. (i dont work for OC and sorry 2 mention them twice in the same thread, i should ask them for a discount next time i buy something! )
and have had no hardware issues (built the software myself on them) both still in operation after 5 years of music production, no hardware faults good prices there as well.... i think if you want specific components they'll build it for you i'm guessing..

also you dont have to buy an OS with them.. i think you do have to get an OEM version with Dell/HP etc.

but basically if it's the right price/spec, go for it! less hassle!

The new i5's (Lynfield) are a good price performance ratio :) make a nice DAW!

BTW i can confirm OSX on a homebrew Quadcore works fine for me using Logic and also can use my PCI RME Multiface as a bonus !

there's distros around you can get to work on most hardware if you have a little patience, know where to look and dont mind messing about a bit! :) i think it's even easier now with things like boot 321. all the info's around.. osx86scene and insanelymac are good starting points !

after roughly 1 year with OSX machine in the studio i can honestly say. i much prefer PC as OS for music production :) i think OSX is only valid if you want Logic.. Cubase runs slower, Ableton bout the same i think..

Logic is the most illogical 10 clicks to do a 1 click job in any other sequencer laggy graphic and audio - 10,000 shortcut keys application i've ever used! ) ! i dont recommend it! or OSX! :)

! :)

YMMV! : )
mbone
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mbone »

@squonqdm

i dont know how can you say that osx is bad for music production :) what i can see most of djs and electronic music producers use mac :) pc will never be as good as osc for music..but maybe i am wrong... :)
i use ableton and is runs very good...better then ableton on my brothers pc.. :)
Logic maybe have 10.000 shortcuts but still is one of most completed softs on marked :)

pc.never had problems with drivers on mac as i had on pc:)

regards Mb
squonqdm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by squonqdm »

Hola Mbone! ! How ya doing? :)

i had a big rant going on here with all the things i disliked about logic and osx but, i think is better to just write a few sentences ! lol!

it can take more overall computer knowledge to run a windows machine stable for music so osx can be an advantage in that area..

i prefer the overall workflow in cubase ! and Cubase runs better on windows.. and i prefer windows speed, accuracy and customisation ability.. it's extremely stable os !

i think if you want Logic, get a mac if you dont PC is cheaper and most applications run faster and better....

btw i think ableton runs well on OSX but i dont have equal power pc/osx machine to compare!

i personally was interested to try logic and osx and see if there was anything good about it! .... i just found with logic that it takes a lot more effort to do things that are easy with 6 year old cubase on pc ! :) and the mouse movement feels not so accurate so makes doing automation and fiddly things more difficult ! :)

i do like ableton a lot but the sound quality i am struggling to experiment if i can get as good sound as logic or cubase.. it just can sound so lifeless and flat with no punch :) !

creativity is great with it though! and it runs well on OSX :)

my opinions and thoughts!

have a good one :)!
mbone
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mbone »

@squonqdm

hola :)
i get what you mean and i respect it :) i still mean osx is the best for music creation and computer djs..otherways all the big name dj and producers will never use it...i am on mac for the last 5 years and i most be honest is solid for the music side of my work...funny is how microsoft trying to look like osx :):):):) i am jonking but i am sure you understand what i mean :):)

regards :)

ps.btw sorry for my bad english :)
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

mbone wrote: pc will never be as good as osc for music..but maybe i am wrong... :)
Fail, it's all personal preference these days.

It's comments like that that cause people to spend money unnecessarily and line Mr Jobs' pockets even more ;)