Prices of vinyl rising on juno.co.uk

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

for 1500 Pounds

you get in Vienna

a 200 square meter roof apartment in the city center and for the rest you could get a BMW on lease lol :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:for 1500 Pounds

you get in Vienna

a 200 square meter roof apartment in the city center and for the rest you could get a BMW on lease lol :)
haha... packing my stuff and moving..
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

::BLM:: wrote:
WillieSmalls wrote:
Harrison wrote:
why do records like the new moodymann and vakula go up in price after they have originally sold out?!
Supply & demand.
It could be to do with the unit price. If Moodymann presses up 1000 to start with he is going to be able to get a better price then if he does a repress of 300.

The price also has to do with the distribution company and where the records are getting sent from. UQ is in the states so they have to ship the records from there to the UK, which puts the price up. We were selling at £7.99 when distributed via Intergroove. Now we are going through Rubadub and the price has come down to £6.50
i thought that those could be the reasons so thanks for clearing that up for me. am genuinely interested in how distro works, like how you approach a distro company, do you have to have your first few releases lined up? and just curious about all the costs/difficulties in getting a release into shops.

good decision to go with rubadub i think!

and re: london rent, it's so much! i would love to move down after i graduate but would only move if i found a job that allowed me to live comfortably. at the minute i live in an amazing 2 bed apartment in a beautifully converted victorian building smack bang in Manchester city centre M1 and I pay £337pcm.

ps - don't quit your job!
Last edited by Harrison on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

London prices are ridiculous, I pay £290 a month (plus bills and about £70 council tax, so let's say £400 all in) for a pretty big double room in a lovely Victorian flat in a decent area, enough money left for vinyl :)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Harrison wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
WillieSmalls wrote:
Harrison wrote:
why do records like the new moodymann and vakula go up in price after they have originally sold out?!
Supply & demand.
It could be to do with the unit price. If Moodymann presses up 1000 to start with he is going to be able to get a better price then if he does a repress of 300.

The price also has to do with the distribution company and where the records are getting sent from. UQ is in the states so they have to ship the records from there to the UK, which puts the price up. We were selling at £7.99 when distributed via Intergroove. Now we are going through Rubadub and the price has come down to £6.50
i thought that those could be the reasons so thanks for clearing that up for me. am genuinely interested in how distro works, like how you approach a distro company, do you have to have your first few releases lined up? and just curious about all the costs/difficulties in getting a release into shops.

good decision to go with rubadub i think!

and re: london rent, it's so much! i would love to move down after i graduate but would only move if i found a job that allowed me to live comfortably. at the minute i live in an amazing 2 bed apartment in a beautifully converted victorian building smack bang in Manchester city centre M1 and I pay £675pcm.

ps - don't quit your job!
Approaching a distro is as easy as sending an email. You need at least your first release sorted, but it's not a necessity to have more. I wouldn't worry about getting into shops as if you have a good distro they will do all this for you.

Going back to record cost... We have just done a repress and for 300 it was 87p per unit, but for 200 it was 1.050 per unit. So this should give people an indication of why certain releases are priced higher then others.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Then why perlon prices are so high? 10 euros seems a lot of money for a vinyl, and if I dont like all the tracks then it's worst. I can pay 10 to 12 euros for a white label, bootleg, super limited press whatever I really like, but for a regular release. I assume they are a well known label and they know they are selling almost all units they are going to press (so they press a good quantity of copies), then i dont understand where BLM theory is failing there (that doesnt mean i dont believe it :P),
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

It's not going to be the same for each record label, but for the ones mentioned I was correct. Anyways I don't know about Perlon as I don't follow their releases, but a quick search shows me they have full cover artwork which pushes the price up. Basically anything that could push the unit price up( full cover artwork, inner sleeves, different colour disco bags, heavy vinyl etc..) will affect the price we buy at.

You say they sell all their units, where did you hear this from? Do you know how many they are selling or are you just speculating? Is Perlon still a big label? I dont really see their releases anymore.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

perlon had to change distribution company when Neuton went down. they changed to word and sound and the prices went up.

i've gone from buying nearly all their releases to buying 1 of their last 9.