mystify 909 jacking groove

- ask away
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

You could compress to high heaven but the groove remains unaffected in terms of its timing
I do absolutely agree with steevio on this point, the attack and decay can be changed and therefore the groove is affected too.

I'm currious if there was a 'typical' signal chain back in the days.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

regler wrote:
You could compress to high heaven but the groove remains unaffected in terms of its timing
I do absolutely agree with steevio on this point, the attack and decay can be changed and therefore the groove is affected too.

i dont know about typical, but we had all the toys back then in hardware that you have in software today, each individual producer would use whatever he had available or wanted to use. nothing much has changed, except that the toys are available to everyone now. the high end software these days is often based on old hardware designs.
someonelikeyou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by someonelikeyou »

I'm sure Roland must have thought of re-releasing stuff. Can' really see why not. Production costs must be so much cheaper today. Someonelikeyou.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

someonelikeyou wrote:I'm sure Roland must have thought of re-releasing stuff. Can' really see why not. Production costs must be so much cheaper today. Someonelikeyou.
it's a lot cheaper and easier to make digital instruments. a real 909 would cost a lot more to build than roland's current products. don't forget profit is the most important thing in the world.
Roland don't employ any analogue engineers who could make a 909. their all computer programmers.
it's old technology. look at what the MC-909 can do. you can make a whole tracks on it. what would roland's new generation of customers think of something with just drums?
customers will complain that it's not as good as the original even if it's exactly the same.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
someonelikeyou wrote:I'm sure Roland must have thought of re-releasing stuff. Can' really see why not. Production costs must be so much cheaper today. Someonelikeyou.
it's a lot cheaper and easier to make digital instruments. a real 909 would cost a lot more to build than roland's current products. don't forget profit is the most important thing in the world.
Roland don't employ any analogue engineers who could make a 909. their all computer programmers.
it's old technology. look at what the MC-909 can do. you can make a whole tracks on it. what would roland's new generation of customers think of something with just drums?
customers will complain that it's not as good as the original even if it's exactly the same.
they cant even make it exactly the same, many of the chips and parts have been extinct for years. if the processor chip goes in your 909 now, you're fukked
the chances of Roland ever making a TR909 again, or even something that is remotely close, is zero.
they are not going to spend all that money tooling up to satiate the appetites of the tiny minority of people who can tell the difference between the real thing and an emulation, when they can make shitloads of money fooling innocent newbies by using the numbers 303, 909 etc on a characterless crap groovebox.
its sad and downright dishonest corporate bullshit....rant rant rant
:)

support the guys who care, the ones you can discuss the design of their next bit of kit with personally. design your own kit, be a part of the process, and keep some talented young guys in beer money.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

really?:))))
youre wrong. there are parts avalaivable and there was a 909 diy kit for a long time now ..
its all about the rhythm
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Rookas wrote:really?:))))
youre wrong. there are parts avalaivable and there was a 909 diy kit for a long time now ..
have you had a broken 909 and tried to get the parts to fix it ?

well i have, and you're wrong. the most important chips like the main processor are impossible to buy.

whats this 909 DIY kit ? an entire actual Roland 909 in kit form ?
i dont think so

links please

there are plenty of attempts at replicas, i have several 909 modules in my modular and none of them sound exactly like the real thing.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

regler wrote:

Im sure you know what i mean. Compression is itself not responsible for the jacking groove. The amount of envelope alteration by gate, compression or expansion is itself not directly responsible for the timing. The groove was there initially. Hell, why not throw reverb in there too then. Its terribly pedantic to argue this point.