Advice really appreciated - getting decks for my 11 yr old

- open
oldboy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Advice really appreciated - getting decks for my 11 yr old

Post by oldboy »

Hi. I'm a big big music fan and really love minimal techno but have never DJ'd.

But my son who turns 11 next month has inherited a love of music and he listens a lot to my music collection incl. all my minimal techno (all in digital format). He's very interested in doing his own mixing so I am seriously thinking of getting him some decks for Christmas to get him started. So, please can any DJs out there give me some advice on this.

Firstly, is he too young? I think not but I'm biased here. If he's not too young do I go for MP3 decks, vinyl decks or virtual PC sort of decks you mix with a mouse? He's very computer literate too. If the latter, which do I go for, for a starter pack for him that will last him a few years but not hit my pocket too hard? If it's a PC based system what would you recommend? If it's PC based then I would probably try my hand at it myself.

I've got a few mates who DJ who are prepared to help show him the ropes too if I go down the vinyl decks route.

Thanks for any advice and really love the forum.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I started when I was 11, so he is not too young. I'm now 24 and still going strong.

I guess you just need to ask him what exactly he wants! No point trying to guess as you may get it wrong. If he is listening to digital files, then he most likely is either going to want CDJ's or Serato/FinalScratch. It's worth asking him if he wishes to collect vinyl though.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

I'd ignore the vinyl option completely - at his age he's completely missed the boat on that one. Comparable to traditional photographic techniques in this day and age. And of course requires enormous future expenditure.

Best to set him up for the future: For me, the most convincing digital-computer based option is Traktor scratch with the right control surface. Forget the vinyl-controlled digital options. He already has access to music from your collection so he could get straight into it.

Pioneer CDJs would be a sensible option too. You could maybe get him some 100s or 200s to get started. But I reckon the most future-orientated option would be Laptop+Traktor+Controller.

Good luck to you and him :)
fornogoodreason
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fornogoodreason »

im jealous!

i would get him some cdjs man he should learn to mix before pressing sync

where is the fun in that when you are 11
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

technics 1210
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

the question is what do you wanna spend?

a digital only setup (no turntables) will cost you 600-700 Dollar ( 550 Euro). provided that you already have a PC.

All other setups will be more expensive.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

i would say vinyl, he's young and he needs to understand what is djing really about , when he's older he will do his own decisions but he wont be going to vinyl after cdjs... and its always nice to have a collection of music, to feel it and see it...
if my brother wanted to go for djing , i would ONLY buy him vinyl decks
its all about the rhythm