isolation pads

- ask away
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

isolation pads

Post by goomba »

i just bought a pair of yamaha hs80m's.. is it worth while buying isolation pads? im currently using a phone book under each speaker
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

Depends on your desk, but for me they did wonders
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

If you have the space, proper speaker stands would be you best option.
Having them on your desk will give you all sorts of unpredictable reflections and resonances. Stands would also allow you to get the monitors at the correct height.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

have a look on the net for shops that sell foam for different purposes. most of them allow you to to do special orders for the right size and density to put your speakers one.
cheaper and customized for your needs compared to the stuff you get at music stores. the store brands are the same with just a standard size and a logo on it.
techno made me do it
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

deccard wrote:have a look on the net for shops that sell foam for different purposes. most of them allow you to to do special orders for the right size and density to put your speakers one.
cheaper and customized for your needs compared to the stuff you get at music stores. the store brands are the same with just a standard size and a logo on it.

Thats defo not right. Proper isolation pads have a thick metall plate in them, which has complementory resonance characteristics to the foam.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

jobbanaught wrote:
deccard wrote:have a look on the net for shops that sell foam for different purposes. most of them allow you to to do special orders for the right size and density to put your speakers one.

Thats defo not right. Proper isolation pads have a thick metall plate in them, which has complementory resonance characteristics to the foam.
you mean the ones that cost 160,- euro each. the standard what most people use are just foam in a much lower pricerange. dont think that someone with those yamahas will pay 300,- euros for that. better to invest that money into better room acustics ;)
techno made me do it
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

deccard wrote:
jobbanaught wrote:

you mean the ones that cost 160,- euro each. the standard what most people use are just foam in a much lower pricerange. dont think that someone with those yamahas will pay 300,- euros for that. better to invest that money into better room acustics ;)
Yeah, i was talking about the proper isolation pads, bought them for 100,- each. And actually they improved my sound more than any other room treatment :D
But your right, if its about the 15,- Eur things, buy the foam yourself and either have it cut or cut it yourself.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

twisted-space wrote:If you have the space, proper speaker stands would be you best option.
Having them on your desk will give you all sorts of unpredictable reflections and resonances. Stands would also allow you to get the monitors at the correct height.
+1

stands are much better.