TINYXP Rev 10 or whats the best?

- ask away
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

TINYXP Rev 10 or whats the best?

Post by kristofason »

I need to reformat again!
Anyone suggest a really scaled down version of xp?
Rev 10 seems to be the newest, any experience??
Thanks
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

I use Rev 09 on about six terminals at work, and a couple of laptops for friends. It is really awesome. Never had a problem. Rev 09 is under 700MB so it fits on a cd. It can also install onto a thumb drive so you can boot your OS anywhere. It installs in less than 15 minutes.

If you want even smaller look at micro XP.

I know he's working on Tiny 7 too. Fingers crossed!

Now that I know Rev 10 is out, I will def try it!!
/__/\ /__/\ /__/\
| |::\ \ \:\ | |::\
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

From what ive read Tiny 7 is out.
Im in 2 minds as to wether i should reinstall, this was a vista machine before i (got somebody else to ) put XP on, i aint got a clue what im doin with drivers etc. Is it a big ball aching task?

Ive found the drivers i need, im just sh!ttin myself that ill mess stuff up...
any tips?
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

It seems like Tiny has MANY popular drivers built in. I don't remember needing any drivers for onboard stuff.

I'd reinstall. Try tiny 7

Cheers

Edit: I just dl'd Tiny7 Rev02 and Xp Rev10

I'll keep you posted.

It's funny the XP Rev 10 is more than twice the size of 7 @ 1.75GB
/__/\ /__/\ /__/\
| |::\ \ \:\ | |::\
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

I'm on XP Rev 10 now, can't really say much about its speed coz i havent loaded Cubase on it yet (its saying my framework is too old) im tryin to resolve that now..
Im pleased tho coz my USB ports are back up and running and it was really simple to set the drivers up..
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i used version of tiny xp, on my lenovo t60, a while back and i wasn't impressed. It seemed like I got the same performance as my standard XP build. What I experienced was a broken version of XP that wouldn't load drivers for hardware in a natural way and menus that responded better... other than that my latency and DPC was still the same.

To me the only advantage of running this stuff is so you don't have larger footprint on your harddrive. But HD space is so cheap these days what is really the point?

of course having a system install from manufacturer sucks too because of all the useless stuff they put in, but it is not hard to streamline with the following tools.

Try sysinternals tools to optimize your system... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 95533.aspx

Autoruns is really good for optimizing startup processes. (way safer than using msconfig)
And process explorer is bad ass too...

And this is great for just cleaning up your system...
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

This is giving me grief!
Its buggy i think. Cubase 5 its jittery and the laptop shuts goes into hibernation mode after 30 secs of a track being played.
Also Display Properties Settings are never saved so they have to be set them up each time i turn the twat on! maybe its coz i dont know what im doin, i dunno...didnt have these probs with standard (legit) SP3!!!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

kristofason wrote:This is giving me grief!
Its buggy i think. Cubase 5 its jittery and the laptop shuts goes into hibernation mode after 30 secs of a track being played.
Also Display Properties Settings are never saved so they have to be set them up each time i turn the twat on! maybe its coz i dont know what im doin, i dunno...didnt have these probs with standard (legit) SP3!!!
yup... these are the sort of the problems i had. :/
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest