Iphone 4

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

If your computer is being slowed down by flash then its time for you to get a new computer. I dont really understand why so many people complain about flash. Flash is great for a wide range of applications and there is no decent on the horizon. HTML 5 looks promising but it will not offer all the capabilities of flash. Scripting motion graphics is not process that is conducive to rapid development of content. If you ever take the time to look through js files on pages with any serious or unique interactive content its not hard to see what a time consuming process it is to create.

The only way html5 is going to be able to create interactive content as good as flash is if someone develops a really nice GUI based IDE for the purpose. I am sure it will come eventually but there is nothing out there that I know of yet.

Flash is great for making interactive presentations for things like physics demonstrations or instructional materials, e-learning websites and now even stand alone web-enabled desktop applications. Flash offers so many possibilities its bewildering. I recently whipped up an interactive flash file for a physics demonstration and it turned out great and only took me a days work. Trying to accomplish the same thing using other methods would have probably have taken ages.

I am not too sure what the capabilities of html5 are going to be but I doubt they will be anything close to what flash can offer at this point. How are you going to load new content into canvas animations in websites which are too large to load up in just a few seconds? Are you going to have to integrate ajax into your canvas tags? Sounds like a huge pain in the ass to me. HTML5 sound great but on the interactivity side of things I haven't seen anything too jaw dropping so for but I am hoping that someday it will evolve into something more sophisticated and developer friendly. Why sit there hand coding your objects to move around the screen when you can just create a tween in flash in a matter of seconds. Granted most serious flash applications are mostly driven by reams of actionscript programming but at least Flash (the program) as working environment is nice, well supported and offers many different approaches to scripting your application.

Don't get me wrong... I am looking forward to the new horizons of HTML5 but I think its a long way off before we see it mature. People need a great IDE for interactive SVG/Canvas/HTML5/AJAX/Javascript that will allow a broader range of people to create content. Flash suffers from this narrow range of user because of its price range but I think the interactive side of future HTML5 (and friends) technologies will be a little hamstrung by the programming skills that will be needed to use it to its fullest extent.

As for the iPhones and iPads... I would pass on that without question.

I don't like Apple's closed system philosophy for their iPhone Operating System. They don't want anyone they don't authorize be able to have direct runtime access to the hardware. This is the reason they refuse to allow Flash on their IOS products.

Quite frankly I think its bullshit. It seems to me like a weak excuse to leave people with no option but to purchase apps from their istore. A lot of these games and apps people download could have been made in Flash or Java and cost the user nothing in many cases.

On that note... Iphones and Ipads don't even run Java let alone Flash.

To me the Ipad could have had great potential if it could run Java. The devices small and portable nature would have lended itself well to a wide range of roles in business. Say you were running a golf course, a warehouse, convention or whatever sort of business that requires its employees to move around and either collect or disseminate information. Being able to have a program written tailored to your needs and written in Java could be tremendously useful. And with Java if a better platform comes along it is a painless process to switch over because Java is platform independent. And who wants to be stuck having to go through Apple in order to share your apps with others.

The new android phones and tablets are going to be much better. I even saw a demo of one of these tablets running Flash smoothly (the opposite of what always been apples line about flash not being good for mobile) I would like to be able to write my own apps/applications for any "computer" I purchase.

Apple is the new Microsoft. I can't believe how many Apple freaks just buy the products without question. They are like Lemmings. I can't wait until one of them walks off a cliff. Thats going to be sweet.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote: I dont really understand why so many people complain about flash. Flash is great for a wide range of applications and there is no decent on the horizon. HTML 5 looks promising but it will not offer all the capabilities of flash. Scripting motion graphics is not process that is conducive to rapid development of content. If you ever take the time to look through js files on pages with any serious or unique interactive content its not hard to see what a time consuming process it is to create.
Youtube got a note about the whole flash vs html5 thing too. And they say more or less they same as you do.

http://apiblog.youtube.com/2010/06/flas ... 5-tag.html
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

That was an interesting read. I have been wondering about html5 support for seeking in video content. I guess it won't be available :| I am sure someday it will be addressed. Flash has been around for over 10 years now. These kinds of features are new to HTML but I bet 10 years from now HTML will be whole new kind of kitty. I really hope VP8 takes off and becomes a real standard. I remember that ogg was supposed to be that standard but someone quashed it. I think it was apple. Why? Who knows.

I don't know if anyone would be interested but here is a video from the GoogleDeveloper's channel about HTML5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siOHh0uzcuY

Interactive SVG looks like it will be exciting. This guys channel has a couple experiments with 3d Interactive SVG with Javascript.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ISRAELEISENBERG
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote: I dont really understand why so many people complain about flash. Flash is great for a wide range of applications and there is no decent on the horizon. HTML 5 looks promising but it will not offer all the capabilities of flash. Scripting motion graphics is not process that is conducive to rapid development of content. If you ever take the time to look through js files on pages with any serious or unique interactive content its not hard to see what a time consuming process it is to create.

Hmm... looks like I forgot a word there. I probably spaced out for a moment and was staring at the lamp thinking... alternatives, alternatives, alternatives... nope guess not, ok keep typing. (well there is silverlight but i dont know too much about it and the silverlight plugin doesnt have as deep penetration as flash)

I meant to say... "Flash is great for a wide range of applications and there is no decent alternatives on the horizon. "
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

and thats why flash is important...
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

No flash support

closed system making it harder for natural open development

still no video calling over phone networks

loses connection when you hold it in your left hand

extortionate prices for the unit...

even more extortionate prices for the accessories

not a great battery life

its still got a pretty poor camera

but look how shiny it is... oooooooooOOOoooOOooo

that is why i picked mine up today...
JNX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JNX »

arguing about telephones = the new digital vs. vinyl
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

JNX wrote:arguing about telephones = the new digital vs. vinyl

comments like these are fucking retarded, by your logic people shouldn't discuss anything...
JNX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JNX »

livecollective wrote:
JNX wrote:arguing about telephones = the new digital vs. vinyl

comments like these are fcking retarded, by your logic people shouldn't discuss anything...
awesome.