Producing Berghain techno?

- ask away
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

mlexicon wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
mlexicon wrote:something ive done is resample my patterns, but not directly, ill mic up my monitors from a distance, and i always get something different and it feels more...alive, the only problem with that is i tend to lose alot of strength in the signal, but theres a ton of ways to boost it thru some eq work or compression. I enjoy that.
I'd like to hear examples where you've done this. interesting technique!
kinda late on this one, but here is an example of what i do

http://soundcloud.com/raymundom/saturda ... -thank-you
Great character in that track. You can also line up your dry recording and your mic'ed recording and mix them parallel or use compression/gating to reveal the mic'ed one thru into the final master... should allow you to control the punch factor.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

needs more vuvuzela
symplectiq
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by symplectiq »

Why do I keep reading it as "Bahrain" techno..
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

symplectiq wrote:Why do I keep reading it as "Bahrain" techno..
1st time i saw this thought it said Bargain.. no worries there :D
bam
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Direkt wrote:
i'm not sure there's much of a techno scene in Bahrain.

as for Bargain techno, there's plenty of freeware and crack software you can use for no cost at all.
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

tone-def wrote:
Direkt wrote:
i'm not sure there's much of a techno scene in Bahrain.

as for Bargain techno, there's plenty of freeware and crack software you can use for no cost at all.
i didnt mean it as "cheap". i meant it like a subgenre (that i dont think it exists, lol). Ehm.. havent got any sleep in the last 2 days :)
bam
Grey_People
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Grey_People »

damagedgoods wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:
NewSc2 wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:I pretty interested how do all this producer like Mike Dehnert for making an so lofi feeling in their productions. If you listen productions from Mike Dehnert or even from Maurizio you will hear at the beginning a nice breeze noise (i don't know the exact term for this sound like for exemple if you put the monitor too loud without any music or if you don't push on the Dolby NR on an old tape player :lol:)
I'm trying since 2 days too reproduce this feel with Logic and without hardware. Anyone has some tips to give me ?
I have tried it with Microtonic and with a bunch of distortions but it's not that.
are you talking about the actual vinyl crackle or some background noise, like from the beginning of pink floyd's 'welcome to the machine'
No vinyl crackle but yes like Welcome to the machine and exactly like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_Z15EEPdI :lol:
That's just equipment noise. Turn up a mixer with nothing connected, amplify 50 dB or so, record, filter to taste.
There's a really great free AU called LFX 1310, the have a vinyl crackle effect that actually sounds pretty good if you filter it and use some reverb along side it. I've been just putting it onto a free audio channel and automating the filter/verb return as I go along. All the other effects that come with it are sh!t though.

I recently just bought a cassette tape deck for the sole purpose of bouncing my 2 track mix out, saturating the sh!t out of the tape for that boomy low end, bringing it back into a DAW low passing what came from the tape and nudging the original high passed track over it in logic. I haven't tried this yet, but in theory it should sound interesting.
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

Wow just joined and this is the first thread I looked at and some really usefull tips here

LOL at Bahrain Techno - now I would love to hear that