analog and digital

- ask away
Salomo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Salomo »

oblioblioblio wrote:
widdly wrote:How so?
Mainly a general feeling. You might be able to say that analogue is closer to whatever the source of music is. Digital is easy to get into layers and effects.

But maybe I'm just speculating.
yes, it's a undeniable fact of consistency vs rapid partiality, i think personally the gap with these things is still greater than for instance guitars (where it's clearly that feeling of holding a guitar that dominates the real perceivable quality difference with emulations)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Salomo wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:
widdly wrote:How so?
Mainly a general feeling. You might be able to say that analogue is closer to whatever the source of music is. Digital is easy to get into layers and effects.

But maybe I'm just speculating.
yes, it's a undeniable fact of consistency vs rapid partiality, i think personally the gap with these things is still greater than for instance guitars (where it's clearly that feeling of holding a guitar that dominates the real perceivable quality difference with emulations)

i'm not sure what you mean. btw I edited my post that you quoted a little. i didnt like how i said it the first time.

i think that maybe this thread is tiring out a little bit. it's totally a personal thing about what works best for different peoples methods.

in some ways there can be a clear difference between analog and digital. and sometimes it can be blurrier.

As a tone source analogue is clearly different. It is very much focussed on a direct kind of purity I think, like a single voice of a musical instrument with many different ways to modulate it, rather than adding many layers of homogenous sounding things with limited expressive capabilities.

Also I feel that there is somethng different about analogue methods, how you orgnise musical gestures, or otherwise manipulate them. I think modular in particular represents an extremely interesting way to work with this.

The argument about producer vs consumer of electronic musical devices. I feel a bit 'meh' about. Music is mainly an enjoyable experience for a listener. As a musician if you can find a way to make it work in a similar fashion. Like you feel using your gear gives you access to a certain feeling in the same way a deep record does, then surely that's a good thing.