Beat Matching

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

just use the force, luke. It just takes time, patience and practice. It might take months to grasp completely (some famous dj's still don't even master it ;) ). But if you keep on trying you'll suddenly feel it starting to improve, don't worry and relax.
Christ Lewis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Christ Lewis »

Del wrote:Record all your mixing sessions and give a listen back before you go to bed that night.
Oh yes, how could I forget! You can learn so many things from such approach! During the mixing itself your judgment can get clouded because, well, sometimes you need blind optimism to find the drive to continue a risky mix. You cannot, and you should not (!), be completely objective during a performance. Save the objectivity for when you listen the recording. Personally I wouldn't listen it right before bed. I prefer to listen it during walks. Movement preemptively cures depression :) so you can fend off the threat of collapsing into a state of self-loathing, and the threat of getting carried away in rationalizing errors. You've got to aim for a nice, functional, objective-ish spot right in the middle. That's where technical development occurs.

While listening the recoding, take mental notes of what you think has gone wrong, and what you think you can do to fix it. The next session, apply that information. Record and listen, take mental notes, etc... It's an endless self-improvement cycle, that can get quite addictive once you get it going. Taking myself as example again, I can't mix with just two tracks anymore. I get bored, and frustrated I have entrust the producers with so much power. So many things in tracks I would have done differently! I guess that frustration is what causes so many DJs to start nagging about the quality of music out there. I can relate to those sentiments, but I prefer to gain technical power as DJ instead so I can micromanage those details I don't like about tracks, as opposed to get overly selective in track selection (which could still work if you're prepared to eventually produce your own tracks, but I digress).

I can go on and on about this subject. DJ coach, wouldn't that be a fun job? :P
hernangrau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by hernangrau »

search for beatmatching on youtube, i bet that someone should have made some easy tutorial