dark music business

- open
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Luis Isaac wrote:When it happens in the literature field it is considered as a fraud. I agree this thing doesn't happen with underground music because the reasons for making these kind of tracks are different of fame and gigs/mon.This is a little bit harsh topic and I want it to be more funnier, maybe It could be cool that producers had to prove the authority of the tracks showing the project files :D
It's a bit different in music. Hardly anyone does everything by himself, there's always some collaboration going on. Are you cheating if you let someone else master your tracks? No. Are you cheating if someone else plays instruments or even writes your songs? If you say yes, Elvis is a fraud since he's just singing, the music is written and performed by others. Where do you draw the line? The name associated with the music is just marketing, there's always other people involved too. If Sasha's sitting in the studio, telling the button-pusher to make a beat that goes boom-chak-boom-chak and a synthline that goes bowwowwowmeooow, he's contributing to the record so it's not cheating.

Maybe if you're doing absolutely nothing it's a bit shady, but the name on the record is still just marketing, a business decision, not an artistic one. The name on the record doesn't affect the quality of the record in any way. The person who does most of the work probably does get paid accordingly, I doubt they mind selling thousands of copies instead of 10 copies.
fornogoodreason
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fornogoodreason »

to me it is like a tap in after someone has run the whole pitch

its still a goal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

hehe, this reminds me to our two pseudo-David Guettas. One is called Martin Huergo, he has no idea of producing and says a DJ is not an artist. A guy makes a track and he pays him to appear together at Beatport (check). Sadly, Franco Bianco is not awared of this and signed with him (sorry Franco if you are reading this, but this is the truth).

And, the other one... Edu Vazquez, what a lovely guy. Do Santos made a minus style track, the dude in question tried to buy the entire track to put his name on it. Luckyly, Do Santos was smart enough to say no and, later, he released that track on Minus.

This is our scene!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

This goes on all the time. Nothing new at all.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Person A may be good at production, programming, sound design, synths, and knows their way around the inside of a studio like it's the back of their hand. But, doesn't have much of an idea for song/musicality - but knows how to bring them to reality if one is provided.

Person B may have some great musical ideas, rhythms, melodies - but not no a damn thing about actually producing them. They have the song in their head, but lack the technical skill to make it a reality

Person A meets person B, and a song is made.
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

shypht wrote:Person A may be good at production, programming, sound design, synths, and knows their way around the inside of a studio like it's the back of their hand. But, doesn't have much of an idea for song/musicality - but knows how to bring them to reality if one is provided.

Person B may have some great musical ideas, rhythms, melodies - but not no a damn thing about actually producing them. They have the song in their head, but lack the technical skill to make it a reality

Person A meets person B, and a song is made.
I see nothing wrong with that, both contribute.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i would say most of the techno scene is Person A. that's why there are so many empty, soulless and disposable techno tracks.

Person B sounds gifted to me. all he has to do is learn to produce (like everyone else) then he will be making much better music than Person A. Person A might help Person B in the beginning but in the long term Person A's lack of musical knowledge and creativity will hold Person B back.
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Luis Isaac »

The real truth is these things weren't impossible to happend 20 years ago when you had to play live music (that was a way to demonstrate you are the author) . Maybe in electronic music, we the public gave too much importance to names and egos. We have created these names/persons as the only one hook to relate a kind of music to an emotion. I hope in the future there is anonymous music by generative software so we don't care any more about authors. And then listeners will become the stars.
The music would be created randomly in relation with the emotional state of the listenner so it fits the best.
Hi Richie, wellcome to the club, it is 15€ entrance ticket. today we have random music by random computer
It is difficult to name a track something different to: genre/label/writer but it would be cool to classified then by other tags such as "sexy","melancholic", "happy"....... so the businness would change a lot...