Having difficulties for building drum sequences

- ask away
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Having difficulties for building drum sequences

Post by tintin2085 »

Hi all,

I have started seriously production since a little bit more than 4 months.
I have made nice progresses but I always block when I try to sequence a track. The result of that is a static track without any life.
I have noticed that's come from the drums parts. I have difficulties for construct nice drums sequences. I can make a 4 or 8 bars drum loop but when it come to break or for making variations during the track I loose all inspiration.
I can tweak for hours a synth pad but I feel the need to finish rapidly the drums.
Another problem is I rarely find good drums samples. I'm trying to make beats like Dj Sneak, even that for me is a pain and I don't talk about the samples digging for having so nice and fat snares, perc...

I'm almost sure that some people will suggest me to use sample loops but I really hate using it. I rarely find one that I like entirely. I have always one or 2 hits that I want to change.

So I'm waiting your advices how to progress into the beat construction.

Thanks in advance,
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

when I started producing, I was loading up different drum loops, perc loops etc etc, which made me realized what is used to make complete drum pattern interesting.

Could be something you could look into..
wanderer_
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wanderer_ »

i think you'll always feel that the beats could be a little tighter/more interesting. the combinations/editing can be endless.

however after 4 months you're going to be frustrated pretty often i'd think. i'm just now coming around to making non-stagnant beats (after 3 years, before that more traditional music etc.). you'll get there eventually and when you do... you won't even be thinking about it that hard ;)

besides just slogging through it, listen to grooves/beats you find interesting and try to deconstruct them and build them back up in your DAW of choice. it's a marathon for sure, not a race. so patience and forward progress is key.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

ah the curse of the loop, I think many people can recognise themselves having been there or being there. Like the others said, practice makes perfect. Personally I think it is easier to start out with synths and melodies and build the beat around that and not vice versa.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

I think the best thing you could do is buy a cheap set of congas and a couple books on hand percussion and spend six months learning how to play them.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Casanova808 wrote:I think the best thing you could do is buy a cheap set of congas and a couple books on hand percussion and spend six months learning how to play them.
+1
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I found the book - Drum programming a complete guide to program and think like a drummer to be useful.

It goes through drum programming, beats, how different parts of percussion play off of each other to create rhythm and interest. It largely has a rock-oriented approach, but that can translate into other genres also.

I got the book when I got my Native Instruments Maschine, and stepping through the book helped get my head around some problems I've had with static-dry sounding loops and patterns.
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

Wow, some great suggestions here for the OP.

I know the pain, I still find it hard to make beats I really like, good use of mono delays, swing and velocity can help.

I think Casanova's suggestion of buying some congas is a good one!