Is Piracy Really Killing The Music Industry? No!.........?

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

probably because you can't overcharge poor souls on Discogs and rip them off again with the postage.

While we're on the subject: selling my vinyl on Discogs ;)
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

want tracks, just beatport has, make account, select wav tracks, enter paypal, error : incorrect billing information, enter credit card, error : incorrect billing information, call bank, everything ok there, send email to support, wait 3 days, answer :
Unfortunately we are unable to process orders from your region at the current time.

:|
greetings from romania
and thanks beatport, I think I'll buy the vinyls.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

I JUST PIRATED AN ALBUM THAT I PAID $35 TO HAVE SHIPPED TO ME ON VINYL AND I DON'T WANT TO WAIT

pm me for my address and telephone number so you can sue me 8)
- matt
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

::BLM:: wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:Funny how someone doesn't have the money to buy a song online (for 0,99) but can afford a computer and a broadband connection. And has the free time to surf on pirate sites. One would imagine that if you can't afford to buy music you either can't afford a computer or work 16 hours a day to feed your children and have no time to waste on online entertainment.
Yep. That argument is a load of rubbish! If you have a computer and an internet connection you can afford a £1 tune.
Uhm... in fact... if you have not a single dime left after paying for rent and some form of fodder to fill your stomach with, BUT have the will to DIY your way through bullshit, access to computer trash and free wi-fi from the restaurant next door, you're in.

That's how I produced my first twelve tracks.

And fck the police. Always.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

I'm not so sure always you can give a black and white answer to all of the questions raised about piracy, selling MP3s etc , but I do know it's a constantly evolving situation.

One thing I'd really like to know is what people get out of ripping stuff in the first place.

I've seen my own material ripped off vinyl in really cruddy ways, and I'm thinking - man, why bother sharing that - surely it benifits you to keep that one to yourself as a secret battle weapon track - why would you give it away to DJs for free, who are gonna take it and play it out - possibly in competition to yourself. I remember when I first learned to DJ with my friends - we always fiercly guarded our selections and often wouldn't tell our friends what records we were playing, cos guaranteed - they'd go and buy it the next week and play it out, we always thought that sorta sh!t was bad form so we always kept our best tunes a secret (from other DJs).

Weirdly also , I thought fans of more discerning music might show a little more respect, I mean - If I bought a maurizio record, the last thing I'd do is rip it and allow others to download it - out of respect, so I'm wondering who these people are who do, and what motivates them, not in a judgemental way - as in - I'd be interested to know what makes them tick.

It's a really weird situation to me, is it some form of sub-culture rebellion,is it sticking it to the man ? What is it that inspires people to rip and share in the first place ?
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

That original article is well worth a read BTW, and it raises some very good points.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

thom wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:Funny how someone doesn't have the money to buy a song online (for 0,99) but can afford a computer and a broadband connection. And has the free time to surf on pirate sites. One would imagine that if you can't afford to buy music you either can't afford a computer or work 16 hours a day to feed your children and have no time to waste on online entertainment.
Yep. That argument is a load of rubbish! If you have a computer and an internet connection you can afford a £1 tune.
Uhm... in fact... if you have not a single dime left after paying for rent and some form of fodder to fill your stomach with, BUT have the will to DIY your way through bullshit, access to computer trash and free wi-fi from the restaurant next door, you're in.

That's how I produced my first twelve tracks.

And fck the police. Always.
You produced your first twelve tracks because you had an internet connection!? I don't get it?
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

I slapped myself a daw together without investing a single cent that I didn't have anyway.... because one can.

Get it?

The "enough money to own a computer and have access to the internet" means "enough money to buy an mp3" argument is false.