Is Piracy Really Killing The Music Industry? No!.........?

- open
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

make it freeeeeee and there wil be no piraccyyyyyy.
its all about the rhythm
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

patrick bateman wrote:
New Guy wrote:For starters. MP3s should be made much more cheaper.
What price do you think would be fair for 1 mp3?
jackbrazzo

Post by jackbrazzo »

50p or less.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

change your picture jackbrazzo, it destroys the forum design
jackbrazzo

Post by jackbrazzo »

done :)
urban_wind
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by urban_wind »

patrick bateman wrote:
New Guy wrote:For starters. MP3s should be made much more cheaper.
I have never bought mp3, i prefer to buy vinyl or cd, but recently i was looking for some older out of print post-rock stuff that i couldn't find to buy and decided to look if i could find these in mp3. Specifically the album "A negative for Francis" by Rothko an album from the late 90s and two eps by Ganger also from the late 90s (yeah i'm having a bit of a flashback!).

The problems i found that lead me to not buy these mp3's:
1. Methods of payment. I wanted to use paypal or american express card. Both methods not acceptable from the sites that had 320 mp3s.
2. Price. Although the records are quite old the prices for the 320s were higher than buying a new cd.
3. I would have to register, buy and give credit card details to 3 different sites for these specific records!

I ended up buying the records from discogs. I got a sealed copy of the Rothko cd much cheaper than the mp3s.

Someone on discogs made money from this but not the bands. Mp3 prices should be lower not for single mp3s but for full albums there should be a bigger discount.

Let's look at stock photography for example, stock photos and graphics are also pirated on the internet and photographers are facing similar problems as labels and musicians.

In the past you had to order photo-cds or whatever and the cost of buying a stock photo for advertising print purposes was very high. Today you can buy a digital photo from a website for the same purposes for 1/10 of the price. No one has to send you a cd or printed catalogue you just dl the photo, the photographer has a digital camera, he doesn't have to scan anything, so the cost of production is lower, and so prices have dropped dramatically.
korgborglar
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by korgborglar »

tone-def wrote: i find shoplifting time efficient too. no queuing while you wait to be served, no messing around with money or credit cards, just straight out the door. much quicker and easier.
except the problem isn't paying for it, that part of the stores is quick and painless. the problem is their delivery... it's like the guy bagging your stuff keeps putting the cans of soup on top of the bread, and makes you run back and forth to your car, one bag at a time.

Imagine trying to buy the back catalog of a fairly big label as .wav's from whatpeopleplay, dl'ing it <250mb zip at a time, then reorganizing the results to put each release in it's own folder... it'd be a complete pain in the ass, and there's no good reason for it. if you're gonna charge me a "format delivery charge" for .wav's, at least make it convenient.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

the +1 Euro for WAV is a rip-off

cant understand the people who buy MP3, if im fucking buying stuff i want it in the best possible quality and nothing else, even if i cant hear the difference.

if i buy a full EP in WAV its expensiver than the Vinyl, thats absurd - there is your main benefit of digital gone ...