Considering switching to Mac with Logic

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

lem wrote:@hydrogen, what's wrong with ur MAC laptop? why wud I prefer a pc?
You can buy a a really nice desktop pc for about 1 grand. My mac laptop is ok... but after 6 months of ableton explosions and finding all mac compatible plugins that I liked. I was regretting the decision... I'm hoping the new update is o.k.

I just think that if your current workflow is awesome there is not a reason to upgrade. if you hate it... maybe it is worth exploring... but it will be at some cost money and time wise.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

hydrogen wrote:
You can buy a a really nice desktop pc for about 1 grand. My mac laptop is ok... but after 6 months of ableton explosions and finding all mac compatible plugins that I liked. I was regretting the decision... I'm hoping the new update is o.k.
Its quite refreshing to hear someone not raving about their Mac, you are probably one of the first I have heard.
I am still completely confused about what to get tho. Im not planning on getting anything for a while. I only just noticed the price of logic since logic 7.
Thanks for ur reply!
widdly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by widdly »

Ethically it is a bit iffy but a hackintosh is a pretty cool way of having the best of both worlds. If you follow one of the recent guides on the net you can build a high end desktop machine that will run both OSX, Win7 and Linux.

I set up a hackintosh on a s10 netbook so I could play with the numerology midi software which is mac only and it works great. It triple boots and has a shared partition so I can work on the same files in any of the OS's.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

^^^^^^^^^

Built it. Love it. Works flawlessly dual booted with Snow leopard and Windows 7. 1100$ !!!! Intel quad 3.0, 8 gigs of ram.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

lem wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
Its quite refreshing to hear someone not raving about their Mac, you are probably one of the first I have heard.
I am still completely confused about what to get tho. Im not planning on getting anything for a while. I only just noticed the price of logic since logic 7.
Thanks for ur reply!
i would be too... it sounds like the hackintosh's are the way to go if you aren't sure... although I needed a laptop and i wanted really good hardware so i bought a mac. I like how they are constructed and i thought it would be good for travel.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I am tempted by the idea of a hackintosh. The only thing that puts me off is spending my time trying to get that to work rather than actually producing anything.
I have spoken to some guys at work and they were like hackin-what? lol, will try the IT department.
I started building an analogue modular, it still isn't finished. But it took months to get this far and I have lost a lot of producing time.
It does seem like an option.

@hydrogen, I never really thought about mac compatilble plugins. I do like synth1. I just assumed that I could get the Vst to AU wrapper and bobs ur uncle.

Thanks for the replys