Is Piracy Really Killing The Music Industry? No!.........?

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

pheek wrote:Honestly, piracy exists because it's just too easy. After that, kids and other guys are coming up with all kind of lame excuses to justify their acts. Fact is, they did it because they could and they could have bought it too but didn't.

No need to attack them because it will just reinforce (just like trolls on forums) their views. I think the best bet is to just buy if you can and tell your friends you want/can support.

The rest, we have no control and have to let it be.
Agreed.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

patrick bateman wrote:Could someone give me some hard facts about electronic music artists (within out scope of the genres) that have been giving away music for free and after that gained tons of success which lead to tons of well paid gigs?
the entire idea centered around netlabels?

the list continues onward from tone-def's...i think it's pretty safe to say that a lot of artists who started out releasing primarily with free labels, in turn gained more exposure and started releasing on digital/vinyl labels.

absolutely, netlabel exposure and giving away free tracks is key when first starting to release music into the world, imo
- matt
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

pheek wrote:Honestly, piracy exists because it's just too easy. After that, kids and other guys are coming up with all kind of lame excuses to justify their acts. Fact is, they did it because they could and they could have bought it too but didn't.

No need to attack them because it will just reinforce (just like trolls on forums) their views. I think the best bet is to just buy if you can and tell your friends you want/can support.

The rest, we have no control and have to let it be.
i think this is the truth of the situation. it's hard to predict what will happen int the future.

Services like Spotify are finding a way to make money out of this, by making music for free legal, or small subsciption based. But in my mind this is a personal nightmare... one big global music company... music to me has always been about the little guys.

It's hard to know how to move forward with the situation... when you have great artists spending much time away from music so they can afford to live... you know that things are fucked.

Maybe we are living in an era where it sucks to be a musician and we just have to deal with that, but that's a depressing thought.

Another major issue is the way National governments are dealing witht he situation... such as the digital economy bill in the uk... that's just gonna lock people further into the cat and mouse game, and move people away from helping the little guys pay their way, and feeling pleased that they are supporting something that has meaning to them.

I don't like the argument about netlabels brining exposure... it's true but I don't think musicians should have to gig to survive... what happens if they don't like techno nights, or if they don't like to play live? There are plenty of great pieces of music that have been made by musicians who prefer to spend their time in the studio.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

infernal.techno wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:Could someone give me some hard facts about electronic music artists (within out scope of the genres) that have been giving away music for free and after that gained tons of success which lead to tons of well paid gigs?
the entire idea centered around netlabels?

the list continues onward from tone-def's...i think it's pretty safe to say that a lot of artists who started out releasing primarily with free labels, in turn gained more exposure and started releasing on digital/vinyl labels.

absolutely, netlabel exposure and giving away free tracks is key when first starting to release music into the world, imo
I actually found Leif through his release on textone via this board.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

patrick bateman wrote:
livecollective wrote:

I'm curios to get some facts, because this is always the argument being put on the table.
god here comes the jockey of the digital realm.

ez man, how many awesome gigs and tons of success have your digital releases gotten you?
Why so negative and hostile?
I'm asking a simple question, if you can't answer, then why be hostile towards me? Have I done anything to you?

EDIT: I think both my vinyl releases and digital releases have giving me the success I could ask for (said in another way, I'm happy for what I've achieved), mind you that I'm still a relatively young producer.
I am not being negative its just the same general theme from you in a relatively unsupported way in these types of threads.

As for your career, you do have a blossoming career but you are missing my point, I am saying netlabels offer this be their own success or route to success. Where as digital is pretty dead end for the most part (vinyl is its own beast). Its in the numbers, if its about publicity you get more from a netlabel than from an average digital release. This might not mean immediate success but notoriety over time.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

livecollective wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Why so negative and hostile?
I'm asking a simple question, if you can't answer, then why be hostile towards me? Have I done anything to you?

EDIT: I think both my vinyl releases and digital releases have giving me the success I could ask for (said in another way, I'm happy for what I've achieved), mind you that I'm still a relatively young producer.
I am not being negative its just the same general theme from you in a relatively unsupported way in these types of threads.
Your comment was negative/sarcastic towards me.

I think you are way off if you think I'm against vinyl and only am praising the digital 'theme', if so, then you really haven't been following the discussions on this forum the last couple of months.

Furthermore, my comment had nothing at all to do with the vinyl vs digital debate, so your comment was way offline.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

the music industry is just evolving, same as it ever did. people thought vinyl and radio would kill the music industry because some thought nobody would see a live band again. Theres always something new to fear, and in the end we're still here.
signatures suck
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

oblioblioblio wrote: Services like Spotify are finding a way to make money out of this, by making music for free legal, or small subsciption based.
In theory yes, but just this week it was in the news that Lady Gaga's megahit "Pokerface" had been played over a million times on spotify. She got 120 dollars or something like that from all those plays. So I wouldn't hold my breath until the moment that small time players like us will ever see any money from services like that.

Anyway, I think the younger generations are so used to getting music for free that it will only go downhill. The future for artists and labels will not be in selling music, but in finding possibilities to offer their music to games, movies, clips, ads, whatever, and at the same time touring (whether you're dj or composer or producer). Sad but true.