DYNAUDIO BM5A vs. ADAM A7

- ask away
ifgy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ifgy »

I am not familiar with the Adam monitors, but personally I adore the Dynaudio. The sound is just .. velvet :oops:
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Luis Isaac »

If you are thinking about bm5A and need lowbass sound you may think about getting the "add-on" subwoofer. I own a bm5A pair and I always miss sound under 50hz. But the mid and highs are brilliant
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Save up and get some BM6a.

I have used Adams extensively, everything from P22, to S2a and S3a.

Dynaudios are much easier on the ears and much more accurate in translating to bigger soundsystems. They have such amazingly low fatigue and so much detail... which is why they are a standard in heavy traffic production studios.

I know I will get flamed for this, but I will stand by my opinion as I have had the privilege of testing all of these against each other in real working situations.

You will, without a doubt, get a lifetime monitor out of BM6a. You will be able to use these to reference for the rest of your music career. I cannot say that I feel the same about the Adams.

Addtionally, forget anything as small as the BM5 or A7, you won't be able to accurately hear the most key frequencies in your sub-bass region. Its additional money/time but its worth it to step up to BM6a.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
klankeffect
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by klankeffect »

hi,
i have those bm5's as well, i didn't regret for a half a second, idd low fatigue, nice sound and price is still like ok. ON the other hand everybody's taste is different, the best advice for me here is go to listen in the shop is possible
grtz
lessizmoremoreizless
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I don't know if you have decided yet on what monitors are for you. I have just been through the search for new monitors. I ended up going for Adam P33a's. There is an endless amount of opinions and information out there, it can make your head spin!

I would really suggest waiting for the new AX range to come out. There is the A8X's. Which look to out perform the p22a's, but for a few hundred less. If I didn't get the p33a I would be getting these I think.

Thomann had a good price on the p22a's last time I checked too. At the amount you are looking to spend I would suggest saving a little more. There are much more options just outside of your range. I think they will probably last you longer, before you think that you need a bigger/lower freq monitor.

Another thing to consider, Is your room treated? I have heard engineers advise spending as much on broadband absorbtion as on monitors. Many of the problems associated with poor monitoring are related to bad room acoustics. It doesn't have to cost the earth either. Just some decent stands and some DIY bass traps will make a world of difference.

I hope this is some help! good luck with your search.

Ali
akeelm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by akeelm »

You should really go and audition monitors before you make a purchase.

I have Dynaudio speakers and Adam A7s, I prefer the Adams to monitor with because they have a lot more high end sparkle and they seem to seperate sounds more prominently. Once I've done a mix on the Adams, everything gels really nicely through the Dynaudios and they ultimately sound better in a different way, more hi-fi.
siddhu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by siddhu »

victorjohn wrote:Save up and get some BM6a.

I have used Adams extensively, everything from P22, to S2a and S3a.

Dynaudios are much easier on the ears and much more accurate in translating to bigger soundsystems. They have such amazingly low fatigue and so much detail... which is why they are a standard in heavy traffic production studios.

I know I will get flamed for this, but I will stand by my opinion as I have had the privilege of testing all of these against each other in real working situations.

You will, without a doubt, get a lifetime monitor out of BM6a. You will be able to use these to reference for the rest of your music career. I cannot say that I feel the same about the Adams.

Addtionally, forget anything as small as the BM5 or A7, you won't be able to accurately hear the most key frequencies in your sub-bass region. Its additional money/time but its worth it to step up to BM6a.

I have to agree. Tried everything from Blue Sky, the higher end Adams ( P33A + S3As), Focals Twins, and Dynaudio BM6s + M1s. My favourites were the Dynaudio M1s and the Focal Twins.

Hated the Adams the most.

Our current setup are the Dynaudio M1s powered by a Bryston amp, and a massive Dynaudio BX30 subwoofer (size of a small elephant!).