Great Interview with Robert Henke about Production

- ask away
siddhu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Great Interview with Robert Henke about Production

Post by siddhu »

I really enjoyed this interview with Robert Henke about production and the music creation process in our modern "a-million-tools-available" landscape.

Create Digital Music » A Conversation with Robert Henke: Silence, Technology, and Process

One of my fav bits from the article is:
So, what’s the role of the press in this? One experience I gain from reading the Ableton user forum and from talking with students is that there is a great amount of insecurity about which technology to use. It’s the abundance paradox. Which software sounds best? Which compressor do i need to use? Which plugins do I need for mastering housy dub music with a hint of pop and some acoustic guitar? Having the choice between 5000 compressor plugins whilst not understanding what makes a compressor really sound the way it does it pretty much my idea of hell. So often I have that impulse telling the world: hey, you can use the sidechain input of the compressor you already have in Live, and you can feed that sidechain with a slightly delayed version of the original signal. You could also apply saturation, filtering, or even reverb or again an instance of the compressor in that side chain signal to shape its timing and response to its input. This will have a result of the compression curve, and this means you can build anything from a very normal compressor up to the most exotic effect you can imagine. And you can store those structures for later re-use. You can automate every single aspect of it. You can use ten or twenty instances of it in a song. Are you guys aware that you have more power right in front of you than the best music producers and hardware designers just ten years ago would have dreamed off?

I simply do not want to read any more articles about new compressor, be it hardware or software, unless it provides insight into the amazing possibilities we already have. I don’t want to read anymore sound quality discussions that deal with the last bit of a 24-bit file in a world where people listen to mp3 over mobile phones and enjoy those artefacts.

The most exciting new music comes from young kids guys running some audio software in a bedroom, listening to the result over a shitty hi-fi and use Melodyne all the way wrong. Those folks do not read gear magazines, they could not care less about yet another mastering EQ, but create the most stunning beauty. If people talk too much about gear I usually do not expect too much good music. I am often trapped in this twilight zone between engineer and composer too, so I know what I am talking about here…
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Spot on.
bleepbleep
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bleepbleep »

Fantastic article, love the parts where he talks about limiting limiting himself in order to get stuff done, definitely need to take some of that advice myself!
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Great Interview with Robert Henke about Production

Post by jobbanaught »

If people talk too much about gear I usually do not expect too much good music.
:lol:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

love robert! :lol:
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

I read this when it was posted.. that night I fealt SOOOOOOOOOO inspired.

I got home and created nothing.. ..again. :oops:

I wish I could get people in my area turned on to this kind of music. Seeing Henke live would be dreamy.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

its a great interview but he's being a bit elitist about the gear thing. while i agree that the gear/software you use does not matter. i think with computer music its creatively healthy to be kind of obsessed about your tools and discovering new ones. it's easy to say something like that when you've been doing music for 25 years and used every tool but that technical motivation i think is important to be there to drive creativity. i get inspired by my tools and getting new ones all the time. some things stay and some things go over time depending on the workflow adaptability but all of them inevitably influence your process and give you more diverse experience
Carmen58
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Carmen58 »

WOOOHHH ! :shock: very interesting ! 8)

Thanks a lot for this link ;)