Ohmstudio

- ask away
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Even if you have a really fast connection, the data stream is rarely continuous. There's all kinds of micro hicups that aren't noticeable when surfing, but are a big deal in a live streaming situation where you are unable to use buffers (and if there are buffers it simply doesn't work, how can you jam with someone if you can't hear them in realtime).

I play lots of online poker and there's LOTS of hicups that last like a second or two, not important when surfing or downloading, but cause major headaches to me, and poker doesn't need real time streaming really since you typically have 15 seconds to do what you're doing, but the hicups are still a major concern that make playing a real PIAS. In music, a hicup of 0,1 seconds will basically ruin the take and cause the connected systems to lose sync.

Do they have a server of some sort btw, or is it p2p?

Internet connections are pretty bad in Finland though, compared to more civilized countries. I highly doubt I could use anything like this with any connection I ever had, streaming stuff with big buffers is often painful enough.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

We'll have to wait and see. The release is scheduled for end of 2010 so till then we can just speculate about it, yet I personally really like the idea behind it.
And who knows, maybe other DAWs will come up with something like this too. We do seem to be heading toward cloud computing so I guess more and more such/similar programs will be popping up.
I'm not saying that it will replace Cubase et al they both will coexist side by side. (IMO)
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

from what i understand, it wont be real time. not yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4eRu7iH ... r_embedded
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the way i would use it is a follows

start making a track offline.
put it on ohmstudio and invite some musicians to perform over it.
take all that audio back to pro tools, edit, arrange and mix into a finished track.
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

hasn't Live already done this? I seem to remember the ads/videos before live 8 came out involving online collaboration
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

dubgil wrote:hasn't Live already done this? I seem to remember the ads/videos before live 8 came out involving online collaboration
I don't think it's active, but there was talk about it..
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

dubgil wrote:hasn't Live already done this? I seem to remember the ads/videos before live 8 came out involving online collaboration
In one of the newsletter a little while ago, they said they were restarting from scratch as they were not happy with it. So it's going to take a moment.

As for the ohm product, I really think it's great and honestly, who cares if there's a lag, a delay and some little drops. This is crazy scifi if you stop 2 minutes to think about it... making music in collaboration with people around the world, it's really awesome! It's not like you have to do a live PA with people and make sure things keep a crystal clear flow. This is just fun, creative and forward thinking IMO.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

It says in the video that its synced to a Ohm server, so there wouldn't really be any jamming going on.