Inverted Phase Stereo Effects

- ask away
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

I just stumbled upon something I thought was quite interesting. I just bought the latest issue of Future Music (I haven't bought this mag in probably 10 years!), with the interview with Joris Voorn. There's a video interview with him on the included DVD and he states this re: creating his track Sweep The Floor:

"to make it sound more warm and full I actually recorded the same bassline twice, panned one all the way to the left the other all the way to the right"

he goes on to admit:

"in mono it actually sounds horrible, cause both basslines phase out each other...but nobody plays out mono anymore anyways, so it doesn't really matter ..."

Really? Is this true? I thought there were plenty of mono club systems...
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Phurniture wrote: ...

Really? Is this true? I thought there were plenty of mono club systems...
Correct. It probably sounds horrible on them.

Actually I guess there aren't THAT many fully mono club systems, but plenty of smaller places run their subs in mono. And too much stereo content under 150hz or so will give you skipping problems when cutting to vinyl because the L/R difference is cut in the up/down direction.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

damagedgoods wrote:And too much stereo content under 150hz or so will give you skipping problems when cutting to vinyl because the L/R difference is cut in the up/down direction.
I was just thinking that if he had this cut to vinyl (which it actually was) they would have most certainly mono'd the lower bass frequencies anyways...
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

do you guys know of any good, eh.. free plugins to check the phasing of your tracks with?
i know you can hear it but i also like to have that visual representation just in case my ears are being tricksy.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Can't you just switch your mix to mono and listen to see if anything cancels out?