turntables useless now? debat

- ask away
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

oh yeah thats the other thing, a lot of these programs now have auto-sync or whatever. and i dont wanna start the thats cheating no its not debate but objectively you have to think about how beat matching is a skill and thats a skill that this dj took the time to learn. they put that effort into it you know? it can take so long sometimes. my beatmatching is soooooo spotty! its why im afraid to really play out much. i cant stand to mess up i feel like a failure, but ANYWAY to an audience seeing someone use vinyl and have it beatmatched so perfectly its a lot more impressive than someone using traktor or live. ive been thinking about getting traktor scratch myself, with the control vinyls. i cant ever foresee a time when id dj and i didnt have that physical element to my set up.

personally, sometimes i miss hearing the mess ups. lol, i know it fucks up a groove sometimes, especially if its really bad, but in my opinion i like it when im listening to a mix and i hear maybe to beats drift away from each other just slightly. two of my favorite mixes right now have a little bit of that. theres the akufen bunker podcast from like 08 which i only just discovered which blew my fucking mind and he messes up juuuuuust slightly in a few spots, and then i think theres the october bunker podcast where his beat matching is off sync a little bit in maybe one or two spots. its like, theyre human u know? and i guess, lol... being that my beatmatching still needs work, it makes me feel a bit better about myself, like everything will be ok, lolol 8)
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

no problem bro, i enjoyed writing that :)
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

its not about loops efx and stuff its all about the music :)))
these days people tend to forget that... im not sayin go buy turntables and a trolley full of vinyl just efx and loops doesnt make you sound more live or better or whatever. i started in digital world , then got turned to vinyl and i cant feel any better at the moment , the feel the grooves.
its all about the rhythm
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

But what is the most important ? the sync, or a strong set ? :) I dont care if the dj can sync 2 vinyls, I just want to listen new things, you can go really far with some softwares.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

its really cool to see a dj making a set with 10 nice tracks, a flanger, reverb, no problem with the synth. But You can hear it each nights, I just want to say, there is a lot of possibilities to make something different.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

the most important is the music , not effects not loops
maybe you're listening to boring music if you want to hear only effects and loops. (taka taka)
i want to hear a message , a vision , even fck the mixing , i love human factor playing its part!
dig deeper , look deeper
its all about the rhythm
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

i love human factor playing its part!
I'm agree.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

i have mixed feelings...

part of me thinks traditional DJing is a timeless practice. its about spreading music in a pure form. the musicians spent enough time on the records that drenching everything in effects sort of takes away the feeling the artist was going for in the piece and makes it more about you as the performer and not letting the music get to people the way it was supposed to

however, now the production process is not unlike Djing for some people and alot of tracks being released are more like tools than actual songs. the producers are essentially mixing loops like a Dj set into a track. i guess if you take the approach of using this more loop-based style of tracks then using turntables would work against you being able to make it really interesting and a laptop would benefit the performance.

people like ricardo, zip and others are going to continue with vinyl because they play song-based music that can stand on its own. im fine with people djing with a laptop but for those who are playing deeper/song-based styles I have more respect when they lay off the loops/effects and let the tracks get into people