[WORK] writing your cv

- open
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

Just make sure you highlight your creativity by giving the example of music production.

If you Dj I'm not sure if I would include that as they might think ur some kind of party animal which is not good.

Otherwise, what Edward said is spot on.

I'm in a similar situation as you now. I have one year of experience working in a big company but struggling reeeeally hard to find a job at the moment.

I hear from an architect friend of mine that London is a good place for finding an architecture job. He comes from Germany.

Good luck with your job hunt!
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

thx Alex, it indeed makes it pretty hard to put in music related things in an architecture folio. However I beleive it really tells something about the person that is different from the 1000s others that might send a resume.
Each interview had me talking about the one detail i did before starting architecture that consisted in re-designing the skatepark of my city.
Wise words about putting the emphasis on the production side too, wouldn't want to present myself as an eternal party goer jumping from after hour to after hour :)
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

rule of thumb: only put in the relevant info. No one reads the lengthy cover letters, cv should only state what the selection guys need. Don't forget sometimes you get hundreds of letters in for a job so the last thing the HR dude needs is a biography of you.
Relevance is determined by the job really, as Edward said. Don't overdo it, but make sure you have a few points that will make your cv just a bit more interesting. I wouldn't list all the software you can use, but just saying that you are a producer as a hobby or interest would surely count. It will highlight your creative side. Sports will tell them you are a hands on person who likes action. Etc etc.

Just try to put yourself in the place of the recruiter and you should be fine. And once you get your foot between the door, it all comes down to skills and persuation really: job interviews are pretty easy (and even fun) if you know how and what you're after. Make a bit of preparation. Be outgoing but not too familiar or over-friendly. Don't crack jokes but do throw in a few answers that will suprise them.

And remember: managers are just as clueless as the rest and spend most of their time masking that they don't know sh!t. So make sure you can bullshit along with the rest of them. :lol:
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

I have music relate things in my CV. Have been running record labels, producing clubs and events, the whole marketing part of that etc..
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

it can be a plus, if youre looking for a management job, if you run a label or something like that, but be carefull, the employer need to employ a guy who can put 100% of his capacitys in the company and not in the music. So, you dont have to show (I supposed) music is the most important thing in your life.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

"Hello, I use to go in after before I go work, is it a problem, but im really able to focus myslef on the work, sure ?"
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

ewinz wrote:"Hello, I use to go in after before I go work, is it a problem, but im really able to focus myslef on the work, sure ?"
This is why (sorry it's in french) i focused on abilities on my cv exemple.

Studio abilities, knowledge, audio synthetisis, sampling, recording ...
not party, techno, after hours, ect
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

Dont worry I'm french :)