Producing Minimal With Ableton Live

- ask away
Carmen58
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Carmen58 »

Yes, I'm agree, the formation is interesting, and it's a correct price, but it is all the same an investment that I can't do it.. :(
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Even if I try, I can't call that an investment.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
PBLondon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by PBLondon »

Firstly, its good to see some discussion around what we offer and music production courses in general. But I just want to say that we are not trying to cover up the fact that we are posting in the forum to drum up further interest in our courses, we're engaging in direct discussion with the users of the forum rather than just posting a great big advert and never participating in the discussion.

I personally am an aspiring producer and an active participant in forums, so I know that regular spamming posts are extremely annoying. However, I feel that what we are doing in the forum is more a creating of discussion and informaing the forum users of a course or set of courses which they may find genuinely interesting and may help with their production skills.

I have taken 2 courses with Point Blank and have nothing but high praise, you can even check out the course feedback from past students here:

http://www.pointblankonline.net/about-p ... onials.php

I know some people may have a cynical view of what we do but we do a great deal of positive reaction from students and many go on to achieve great success, which you can see here:

http://www.pointblankonline.net/about-p ... uccess.php

I'm also glad to see that some are in agreement about what we feel is a fair and just price.

Please keep up the discussion as its great to get as much feedback and comments as possible, and any questions I'll try to answer.

Thanks!

Luke (Point Blank)[/url]
bangaio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bangaio »

Crikey - if that is "personalised feedback" then I need to go back and do my teacher training again. Seriously - if that was the extent of my feedback I'd be fired!

This is nice, this is really nice, you did this - it is nice.
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

bangaio wrote:Crikey - if that is "personalised feedback" then I need to go back and do my teacher training again. Seriously - if that was the extent of my feedback I'd be fired!

Haha, I hadn't watched it until I read this. The word 'nice' is used rather a lot. Not so much feedback as a walk through the project.

I think it's great if people want to educate themselves, but for me the templating of minimal music is a bit depressing. Maybe I haven't read the material in enough detail but I've not seen any references to experimentation so far...
PBLondon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by PBLondon »

BigPoe wrote:
bangaio wrote:Crikey - if that is "personalised feedback" then I need to go back and do my teacher training again. Seriously - if that was the extent of my feedback I'd be fired!

Haha, I hadn't watched it until I read this. The word 'nice' is used rather a lot. Not so much feedback as a walk through the project.

I think it's great if people want to educate themselves, but for me the templating of minimal music is a bit depressing. Maybe I haven't read the material in enough detail but I've not seen any references to experimentation so far...
I can see your point, however I'd like to say that the video is an example from the final week of the course so the student's track is very much complete. In this case the tutor does not need to give expilicit feedback on what should be changed etc as there isn't much at all that beeds doing to the track.

Also, we highly encourage experimentation on our courses. We do not wish to teach anyone how to create or copy someone else's sound, but we aim to arm them with the tools and techniques to produce their own unique and orignal tracks. We want to help get that creative flow into the production of tunes.

The fact is that on any course the techniques and skills taught are all fully transerfable across genres and we have many students taking the minimal course who use what they have learnt to inspire more creativity towards their chosen genre or sub-genre.

On a course such as this we always have the students producing a totally different sound from one another. The final tracks are always unique and distinctive from eachother.

As for the narration to the vid...I think it's actually pretty nice... :lol:

You can check out another feedback vid by a different tutor and see what you think: http://www.pointblankonline.net/minimal ... bleton.php

Regardless, it is still great to get your feedback and we do take it all on board so keep the comments coming!

Luke (Point Blank)
bangaio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bangaio »

I based my comment on the logic example which appears to be a finished track.

My point isn't about the copy cat nature of trying to be a villalobos - music is based in mimicary and evolution so ignore that.

I feel that what can be taught by a correspondence course such as this is really technique eg. side chain this to that, try this reverb on these type of drums, maybe it can teach structure but at the end of the day it can't help people with creativity or inspiration.

The web ist stuffed full of material for people to use for technical guidance. I also produce d&b and visit DOA regularly, it is a minefield of brilliant technical advice, critique and chat.

I just don't think people need to lay down a lot of money to be told that something is nice or o suggest changing an effect setting.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

PBLondon wrote:Secondly, it appears that the price we charge for the course is the most contentious issue and on this I'd like to say that we do feel the price we charge is a fair and genuine one.
don't get me wrong, didn't mean to imply it was too expensive, I just meant I felt bad for not having any money right now to take the course. I think it would be pretty nice to follow and get some more solid basic knowledge about Logic etc.