Phasers

- ask away
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

When reading this post I realised I had absolutely no idea either. So I did some research and found the answer on SOS:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar06/a ... 0306_1.htm

I would try and summarise but I'm still hungover from saturday and my brain can't deal witht the science :?
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Stomper wrote:as far as i know (and how i use it) phaser are used for stereo imaging.
unlike chorus, it wont blur the sound, if its a lead than you will keep the sound focused and direct (depends on the amount), but unlike chorus it can change the timbre of the sound.

imo drums are best as mono sound spread over the stereo field, that is why chorus and phaser dont sound good on drums (to me).

Flangers are totally different. they use very short delay which causes the flanging sound. but they dont cause a phase 'problem' that widen the sound, so drums still sounds good with a flanger.

Stomper.
Not really - you can have both stereo and mono flangers and phasers. The stereo effect is kind of an afterthought to both; it's not integral to the design.

A flanger is basically just a simple delay with a very short delay time (and optional feedback), added to the dry signal. Generally the delay time is modulated by an LFO, giving the sweeping sound. A phaser is generally some arrangement of allpass filters, added to the dry signal, and generally the filter frequencies are modulated by an LFO, giving a similar sweeping sound. Since an allpass filter basically delays different frequencies by different amounts, you get quite a similar result.

The stereo widening is usually achieved by a phase difference in the left and right channel LFOs, or something similar - it's not a necessary component of either a flanger or a phaser.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Christ Lewis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Christ Lewis »

Holy sh!t, I learned something about phasers.

Who would have thought.
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

Christ Lewis wrote:Holy sh!t, I learned something about phasers.

Who would have thought.
ha! I don't know if it's ironic but I just thought that this is a pretty nooblike question and nobody wanted to answer it but in the end I think many guys have now a bit more knowledge than before too!
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.