Digital Mediocrity

- open
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

PsyTox wrote:
infernal.techno wrote:this thread inspired me to do some vinyl searching, and i'm not really liking anything recent :( none of my favorite producers really have anything on vinyl
that's also my issue. I'm pretty picky lately (mostly due to maxing out a few credit cards :lol: ) so I am really careful about what I buy. And thing is, in digital I still end up buying a bunch of tracks while I just can't find enough vinyls on decks to get to the amount for free shipping. Unless I buy stuff that I only find so-so, and that's not the idea issit.
wait... on decks you get free shipping to belgium ?? i'm ordering from austria and i never get free shipping.. no matter how big the order is..
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

roland wrote:
PsyTox wrote:
infernal.techno wrote:this thread inspired me to do some vinyl searching, and i'm not really liking anything recent :( none of my favorite producers really have anything on vinyl
that's also my issue. I'm pretty picky lately (mostly due to maxing out a few credit cards :lol: ) so I am really careful about what I buy. And thing is, in digital I still end up buying a bunch of tracks while I just can't find enough vinyls on decks to get to the amount for free shipping. Unless I buy stuff that I only find so-so, and that's not the idea issit.
wait... on decks you get free shipping to belgium ?? i'm ordering from austria and i never get free shipping.. no matter how big the order is..
From 100 euro yes, has always been like this... well, actually you get a discount from a certain number, for belgium this is (deliberate or not) exactly the amount for the cheapest shipment option.

From their website:

Generally shipping costs have to be paid for every packet dispatch with immediate effect. (see shipping costs) In return to those costs we have initiated the packet-discount for big vinyl orders. (Vinyl- packet- discount) Every customer who orders in stock vinyl in the amount of 100,- Euro will get a special discount (see vinyl- packet- discount) Whether the amount of the discount is adequate to compensate the routine shipping costs depends on the order quantity, the dispatch and the payment methods. There is one general rule: br> Amount of payment = Value of goods + Shipping costs ? Discount
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah that we get too, but waiting for 100 euro shipment makes me tired

on deejay.de you get free shipment at 40 euros .. at least in austria and they are 10-50 cent cheaper on the most records
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Digital allows me to be more picky than ever before. I can browse at my leisure with no rush to make a choice before it's time to go back home.

I don't see much of a problem. Either the DJ is good at selecting tracks or not.

:)
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Themis wrote:yeah that we get too, but waiting for 100 euro shipment makes me tired

on deejay.de you get free shipment at 40 euros .. at least in austria and they are 10-50 cent cheaper on the most records
that's mainly because Deejay.de is actually a vinyl distributor, (Dance All Day) so you are buying directly, a bit like Dell :)
Still, Decks is pretty reasonable in prices. Especially compared to the "physical' shops. And thanks to our label I can buy without VAT, so also chips away 15% VAT...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

infernal.techno wrote:
boomstick wrote:
tone-def wrote: btw there is a netlabel forum on mnml.nl

it's very good
+100000000. almost all of the music i have i got from netlabels discovered from the netlabel forum. to be honest, i didn't quite understand the extreme possible variations in minimal techno until i went into that forum. i thought it all had to be click...click...click...tssss (not an exaggeration) :lol:
here's one you won't find on there ;)

http://www.archive.org/details/FromToMainz
it was on there... it wouldn't be in my itunes otherwise :)
that was ages ago so you would need to dig back a long way.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

vinyl offers a level of discovery and rediscovery via crate digging

vinyl offers superior audio playback at least 4 times dvd audio according to some mastering engineers

vinyl has a resale value

vinyl has multiple levels of filters, artist > label > mastering > pressing > distribution > record shop > DJ
which should weed out some mediocre tracks in most cases

I try to only buy tracks I feel will be classics or that really speak to me

I cant tell the difference between mp3j's who steal music or pay for it.

if you cant afford to buy vinyl maybe you shouldnt be DJ'n ?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^
not again.

there are more important issues to discuss, lets not waste all our time on vinyl v digital.