Digital Mediocrity

- open
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Digital Mediocrity

Post by upekah »

hey guys,

I am just facing a problem and I am curious if this is not only happening to me..

Some Years ago I switched over to Digital Vinyl and instead of buying Vinyl , I started playing mp3's

with the raising availability of digital download stores and tracks I tend to buy many mediocre tracks as they seem to be "cheap" and ok in the first place.
when I bought vinyl I tended to listen twice to the things I bought beause I was buying a black disc with 3 tracks I have to buy even if I like just one!
Because I am playing files now I tend to be like "ah ok it's just costing 2€"
and tend to buy mediocrity.. which I just realize over time..

I have problems in finishing a mix because I want all tracks to fit but I more and more realize that some of these tracks just suck because I bought them because they were cool but I'm not really feelin this

any experience?
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

beatport & Co are filled with a high percentage of mediocre music
it is up to you to find what has a real value, don't be impulsive ;)
my tip: netlabels! some crap too... but lots of fantastic music made from people that makes it for passion, and not for $$, or for a status...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

just double or triple listen the tracks before you buy, as you would have done if it was a vinyl, no difference.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

buy the whole release and not individual tracks. how many times did you buy a record for one track but then ended up playing the other tracks more?
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

The best way to stop bulimia is to sit in a comfortable sofa and to ask to yourself :

Come on, what's REALLY for me and my heart? There are tons of good tracks with good grooves nowadays, but how many has a groove for MY soul?

When I was younger I bought more tracks, and had a more unpersonal collection.

Now I've got around 100 LPs only, and I refuse to buy MP3s for one reason : it can be the most BEAUTIFUL TRACK EVER, if it's not encapsulated in a physical format, the magic can't live for a long time.

Buy vinyls again, your collection will be limited, but LESS is MORE.
Van Hagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Van Hagen »

You just have to dig deeper to find the gems. I use the same process for buying MP3s that you described for vinyl. Listen to them a few times, ask yourself if it's a tune you will still be playing in a year so - all that BEFORE hitting the check out button though ;-)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's all a learning curve.

like others say. just try to treat mp3 the same as vinyl. Obviusly it's difficult cos Beatport is a huge vacuum of sh!t and is totally not the right environment to decide whther you like a piece of music enough to buy it. Maybe listen to more netalbel stuff?

And listen to Tone Def when he says buy the whole release. Buying single tracks sucks. variety is the spice of life and B1 or B2, even in digital is where the action is (unless it's A1 or A2, or a double pack or something)

Also those bad purchases will be worth their weight in gold in a some years time when you look back at your collection.
Evad
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Evad »

dig deeper and force yourself not the buy after the first listen.

this is how i do it: i only buy 1 or 2 times a month on beatport. in between i add tracks to my crate and i listen to them for 10, 20, 30 times ... that's also how i buy vinyl by the way. i never buy a vinyl direct after the first listen.

you've got to be selective.