Kiln

solsken
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Kiln

Post by solsken »

I <3 Kiln... been listening to Sunbox (Ghostly International / 2004) lately...

This intuitively fine-tuned mini album is perfectly geared for the discerning listener: Kiln's discrete sound, a combination of Xela, Pyro Technix and early Múm, is defined by gently treated textures, carefully crafted layers and subtle tonal inflections which paint a palette of soft hues and timbres.

The disarmingly sweet naiveté of "Royal Peppermint Forest" sets the tone of the entire album, composed of twinkling sounds and fuzzy beats. "Ghost" is a sublime foray into abstracted tribal rhythms with Ruxpin-like percussive notes and delicate bells. "Lux (RPF Rebuild)" similarly builds on minimal beat patterns, starting with a simple keyboard melody that advances into an increasingly complex concoction of deconstructed clicks and pops. The album then swings into a decidedly more vibrant, uptempo sphere with "Hong," which is full of rounded melody hooks and a resonating bass line. The final track, "Season," winds down the album with monotonic blip hop sequences layered upon each other with softly tempered effects. With blissful spontaneity and ingenuous simplicity, these five tracks will tickle the listener as much as they will enlighten.
I<3Robots
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by I<3Robots »

your description was so intricate that I had to listen. I really love this release. it's ethereal, but warm. I've been digging a lot of Ghostly's stuff lately.

merci!
solsken
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by solsken »

Here in San Francisco there are entire communities dedicated to robots. There are even a monthly gatherings like Dorkbot and the gizmologist dinner/party where people can strut their fabulous creations.

And yes, Ghostly/Spectral has dropped some noteworthy releases... esp. loving the stuff I've heard from Matthew Dear/Audion, Cepia, Twine, and Dabrye. But Kiln is special, n'est-ce pas?

http://www.ghostly.com/