Anyone switch from Cubase (or any DAW) to using ableton??

- ask away
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Anyone switch from Cubase (or any DAW) to using ableton??

Post by kristofason »

Im wondering whether i can be arsed to learn everythin again, but i think it might help my future live sets , i havent really used ableton for much more than a 'deck A and Deck B with a few fx sends' type set up...

What were the pro's and cons?
Last edited by kristofason on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

I tried it once for couple of days. wasnt for me.
i do keep my eye on Studio One to see how it will develope. but i dont think it will help you for live gigs.

Anyway, i dont think you need to SWITCH to something else.
you can just add it and work rewire.
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

I used to use cubase then sonar eventually I switched to a combo of live and reason. I use reason a lot for synthesis I love the way everything plugs into everything so easily. But use Live for sampling my analog gear jamming and composition.

I find live easier to use than Cubase or Sonar, but I'm not a fan of the piano roll midi editing in live, it needs to be seriously improved IMHO.
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Minimal Samples wrote:I find live easier to use than Cubase or Sonar, but I'm not a fan of the piano roll midi editing in live, it needs to be seriously improved IMHO.
people complain about the live midi editor but after using cubase 3, cubase sx, logic 9, reason 1 - 4. i think its the best in the business. what needs to be improved about it?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

hydrogen wrote:
Minimal Samples wrote:I find live easier to use than Cubase or Sonar, but I'm not a fan of the piano roll midi editing in live, it needs to be seriously improved IMHO.
people complain about the live midi editor but after using cubase 3, cubase sx, logic 9, reason 1 - 4. i think its the best in the business. what needs to be improved about it?
to me it really really lacks ghost clips.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
miles
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by miles »

you can say what you want but the fl studio piano roll rocks :)
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

Ableton is good for loop-based music - for linear editing it sucks balls, use another sequencer.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it's a good loop player and the live jamming to make the song structure is good for some people. personally i like to think about where stuff should go rather than it just happen my chance.

i find every daw good for the thing they were originally designed for. if live loop jamming is the most important thing for you then use ableton. it's the best workflow for people who really struggle with structuring a tune. if your able to get a structure down quickly without the live loop jamming you would probably be better off with something else...