how did you start listening to minimal music?

- open
cezah
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

!st minimal experience

Post by cezah »

I became aware of the whole electronic music scene in 2000 after a visit to the legendary and now defunct :cry: SONA in Montreal on a chinese New Years' eve. It was the craziest experience I've ever had, chinese dragons, firebreathers, live percussions etc!!!!

I haven't looked back since...

at first, I was listening to techno, but my first true minimal experience can be summed up by three simple digits:

:shock: DE9 :shock:

and once again, I haven't looked back since
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

I was listening to harder banging techno and I was getting older, so I needed something a bit more mellow... and that's when I started spinning too, and I quickly found out that there's more room to be creative with more minimal stuff (in my opinion)
didier321
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by didier321 »

Yeah. I used to listen to hard techno back on those days. That`s what LOD - Luis Ortiz - was playing at Gran Canaria, his hometown.

By the time Sutekh came to the Canaries to play at Klitekture's starting party, I had already heard some stuff. But before that...you know...
NilsTentacles
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NilsTentacles »

after seein Kraftwerk perform 'Aerodynamik' at some MTV award - I was hooked!
Music Junkie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Music Junkie »

I'm still pretty new to the scene since I only found thinner under a year ago. But it that span of time I have come to like more than anything else. I think the first album I listened to was Deluge and I was like WTF!! Now every time I hear something else I say WTF! TOO MUCH GOING ON. Still can't get my head around producing some but I'm working on it.
ganik
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by ganik »

Actually i start to listen minimal like very young boy, 1994/1995, i was 13 years old kid [BC & CR releases], thx to one great dj from zagreb named kiki. After few years i start to listen a techno, dark industrial techno[downwards,dynamic tension,counterbalance....]that period was really long, actually when i was start to play music i was playing techno till 2003.....and nowdays,minimal again... ;)
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

broght the perlon tour to El Paso Texas in 2000, and made the switch from the harder bangin...to this stuff

Zip, Sammy Dee, and Markus Nikoai

it was a great show....we had recorded the night, and made tape giveaways, im looking for a copy to make an mp3
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

My musical history is something along the lines of

Punk->Digital Hardcore->Hardcore/Jungle->Psytrance->House/Electro/Glitch House->Minimal.

I resisted getting into electronic music for a long time, being 'punk and all' :roll:, then started to get introduced into some 'digital hardcore' stuff like atari teenage riot (handy bridge to EDM from punk). Was all about that and noizecore/hardcore for a bit, then started to drift into some hardcore stuff. Then, a friend of mine sent me Juno Reactor - Pistelaro, which knocked my socks off and spawned a love obsession with Psytrance for about 2 or 3 years, pretty much ignored every other genre for a while.

Then, started to date a guy in montreal, went to a few really good parties that played house and electro and was "wow, this stuff is pretty good!", which oepened me up to exploring other genres of music that I had been ignoring.

I'd say the main artist that lead me to the land of minimal from that exploration was T. Raum, he's the one that lead me to sender records and eventually to all of the other great minimal out there.

Then, one day - I listented to Hawtin while in a k-hole, which just further enforced my love of minimal, I suddenly 'got' plastikman, and started to listen to alot more minimal stuff after that :)

Mostly listen to minimal stuff, but like all sorts - I'm alot less narrow minded in what I listen to these days (Used to lock myself into 1 genre and listen to nothing but). Now, I listen to alot more stuff, but minimal is what I loves the most.