Label that doesn't listen demo

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote: People really don't have a clue anymore about compiling demos. I think everyone is so dammed concerned with getting releases out there now, that they will do anything to get signed. Producers start changing their sounds to fit other labels etc… People need to just chill out for a bit and make music for themselves, and enjoy it. Music is always going to be here, there is no need to rush.
best bit of advice in this thread.

to me it wouldn't feel right making music for other labels. i can only do what i do.
Bob Mulatu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bob Mulatu »

tone-def wrote:
::BLM:: wrote: People really don't have a clue anymore about compiling demos. I think everyone is so dammed concerned with getting releases out there now, that they will do anything to get signed. Producers start changing their sounds to fit other labels etc… People need to just chill out for a bit and make music for themselves, and enjoy it. Music is always going to be here, there is no need to rush.
best bit of advice in this thread.

to me it wouldn't feel right making music for other labels. i can only do what i do.
i feel the same
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

::BLM:: wrote:
S.D.L wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Do you not like to make new friends then Pheek?
Do you go to complete stranger on the street and ask them to be friends?

People really don't have a clue anymore about compiling demos. I think everyone is so dammed concerned with getting releases out there now, that they will do anything to get signed. Producers start changing their sounds to fit other labels etc… People need to just chill out for a bit and make music for themselves, and enjoy it. Music is always going to be here, there is no need to rush.
I agree with you.

So that you know, I got this label who got in touch with me through myspace without really listening to my music. Just plain weirdness in the contact mail and this makes me thing that some label want you to release if you "look popular" (eg. I have 10,000+ friends on Myspace, whatever that means :roll: ). not my cup of tea.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah I understand now Pheek. I thought you meant not personally knowing them, which is why I jumped in head first. 8)
So instead of waiting for talent and good producers coming up to you, you're on the search yourself. A kind of scouting?
Exactly. The more established producers are obviously on bigger labels which isn’t what we want. Most of our artists in FOF are brand new artists that haven’t released before. This is best for us as we are bringing new music to the scene, keeping it fresh each release. Cally is a great example of this.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

S.D.L wrote:So instead of waiting for talent and good producers coming up to you, you're on the search yourself. A kind of scouting?
Don't most labels do this (well, except the really big ones)?
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

tone-def wrote: if the label comes across someone's myspace, likes what they hear and asks them if they would like to work with them. i think thats a pretty normal. from my personal experience this happens more than artist sending stuff to label.
this is how you catched me... ;)
dsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dsoul »

interesting Thread. My experience is mostly sad if it comes to demos. Links to soundcloud, myspace, only one track without any information, music which fits in no way to my label etc. its totally unpersonal and people dont care about you or your label - they just want put music out asap. Strange world. its like i send an application to Mc Donalds without the knowledge they sell burgers... :roll: Get in touch with people, show some interest for the culture and the label and present you in a good way and after all be sure your music has reached the level to be released...over and out ;)
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

well you dont need to be good at sell bigmacs to work in a shitty restaurant ...
but what you say is true , since artists usually send each tracks to thousands of labels , they just dont take the time to know what the label is actually doin.

What you need is a real bio , with photos ect... telling what you've done and of couse to have a real ftp that provides direct links , A&R dont like rapidshare ;-)